Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Malrotated kidneys

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
Hi Dr.
I am 24yrs old, male, recently did a normal medical checkup for low hip pain, however this pain exists only for 2 days and never had pain again). Medical report shows I have 70% kidney problems and shows below indications.
1) Bilateral mild increase in renal cortical echoes
2) cortico meduilary differentiation is maintained
3) Left kidney is malrotated.
Can you please advice what is the next step i need to take to cure this, will my health be a problem always life long?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A11927
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

During the fetal development the kidneys rotate with its concave side turned towards the spinal column. A malrotated kidney appears due to incomplete rotation of the kidney during the fetal development. Depending on the level of rotation, the kidney with its blood vessels and ureter may be turned a little to the front or to the side opposite from the spinal column. This may cause a small or great twisting of the ureter which may cause an obstruction to passage of urine. This obstruction may affect the functional kidneys causing hydronephrosis and necrosis of the kidney tissue due to the pressure of the urine that is collected above the twist.

Given the data that you described, you are experiencing a malrotated kidney, with no evidence of calculi and hydronephrosis. According to the laboratory results that you provided it is likely that you experience increased levels of blood urea and creatinine which suggest that you experience kidney issues. See a nephrologist for further advice and information about the symptoms and the laboratory test results that you experience.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified health provider such as a nephrologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.