Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Forum

MAI (non tuberculosis) Bacteria Infection

Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
My mother has been diagnosed with MIA (non tuberculosis) 2 years ago. She is a very small petite woman and is 57 years old. She has not been put on any treatment because she hasn't done a biopsy. Her doctor doesn't think it's severe enough for her to undergo a biopsy, since there are risks. She see's him every 3-6 months. Her lung CT scan doesn't show anything abnormal, but her cough is really bad. She hasn't stopped coughing since she was first diagnosed. Does anyone know anything about this infection. Is the coughing normal or a sign of something else? I am very worried that it could be something more like cancer.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jennygale
|

replied November 8th, 2010
MAI infection
I was diagnosed by a pulmonologist mid 2008 through a broncoscopy. Whatever the dr removed (tisue?) cultured positive for the infection. I took azithromycin, rifampin, and methamutol 3 times weekly for 18 months after which the dr pronounced me clear of the infection as seen on a CT scan. I had no side effects from the antibiotics, but I did have monthly blood draws to watch for liver damage and did a monthly vision test to watch for color blindness. I went to the pulmonologist because I had repeated upper respiratory infections with a couple of bouts of pneumonia in my past. The dr's suspicions were that I had MAI for years that were knocked down by Z packs but not knocked out. When I asked whether it was necessary to treat, he said it would be more difficult as I got older. I was 62 when diagnosed. I have had no respiratory infections since I completed the course of antibiotics in Jan 2010. Good luck to your mother.
|
Users who thank jennygale for this post: AR_Julz 

replied January 4th, 2013
MAI antibiotic treatment
Did the antibiotic treatment give you any side effects or problems? I am about to start on the therapy and was wondering if I will have problems working or anything.
|

replied November 20th, 2010
MAI
That is awesome. My mom has just been diagnosed with MAI post bronchoscopy. The had a large rash on her upper thigh that took about 9 months to resolve, then 6 months ago she got a cough that would not go away. She has lung cancer that is in remission currently. They are starting her on three antibiotics and it appears to be a 15-18 month treatment with monthly blood draws. I am glad to hear you have not had any bouts with bronchitis since treatment. MAI is the cousin of TB and does need treated. I would go to a pulmunologist because the MD's did not find my mom's they gave her a Z pack and a form of penicillan nothing worked. Good luck.
|

replied March 4th, 2011
MAI tuberolisis
I am a 57 year old female an was just recently diagnoised with MIA. I was sent to an 'infectious disease' doctor after having a bronscopy which showed multiple infiltrates on both lungs. I started on three antiobodics for a period of 18 months an I also have blood draws monthly. I do not understand why I got this either. I have never smoked or even tried but I have dealt with several bouts of phenumonia in my lifetime so maybe that weakened my lungs. My biggest complaint is that I am always so TIRED...plus I do have just a dry annoying cough...Good luck to anyone who gets this disease b/c it is no fun an I'm sick of feeling tired an sick...I want to live again...hopefully it will get better soon...Smile
|