Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

lymph node swelling & HIV

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
Hi. I am a 24 year old gay male. I have lymph node swelling and am a little terrified. About a 2 months ago I had a few casual sexual encounters. Orally unprotected at times but ALWAYS protected anal sex. About 2 weeks ago I discovered a swollen lymph node at the top of the back of my neck (the occipital) and the glands under my jaw. No other symptoms- no night sweats, flu, rash, fever, or fatigue (more than usual with my hectic work schedule).... but I have become obsessed reading everything about swollen glands and have been continually poking and prodding myself to find more. I discovered some small what I think are "shotty" lymph nodes in my groin area. The lymph nodes on the back of my neck and under jaw have gone down in size, while not completely gone, but the very tiny "shotty" ones in my groin pretty much remain the same size. Yesterday on the sides of my neck there were two palpable if not visible swollen nodes. Today they have decreased in size. Yesterday I went to the doctor and she looked in my left ear and said it had major wax buildup- so much so that she couldn't tell if it was infected. She put me on debrox, an antibiotic in case it was infected and claritin. I began taking the medicine yesterday. On top of it I have just entered a work environment where everyone is getting sick so I have been taking some Cold-Eeze and other Vitaman C suppliments. Last night and this morning I had a very dry mouth. No sore throat. I want to believe this is a symptom of the Cold-Eeze or other medication... I want to believe that the swelling is from an ear infection but I'm scared. I know I need to get tested but I am just looking for some piece of mind.

1) I'm thin and young. Is it true that palpable small glands in the groin are normal?

2) If I really had acute HIV would all the symptoms hit at once or be graudally spread out.

3) Would an ear infection cause all the swelling in my neck or would it be more localized to one small area.

4) Can poking a lymph node and rubbing to feel for them cause the lymph node to be irritated and swell slightly.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
1) I'm thin and young. Is it true that palpable small glands in the groin are normal? for some people,yes.

2) If I really had acute HIV would all the symptoms hit at once or be graudally spread out. spread out for most

3) Would an ear infection cause all the swelling in my neck or would it be more localized to one small area.it could be either...

4) Can poking a lymph node and rubbing to feel for them cause the lymph node to be irritated and swell slightly. not likely

Get tested for HIV. That really is the only good answer.You don't want to put it off and worry more and wait for more symptoms to occur.Get tested.If you are negative then no worries any more. if you are positive then you can take action. Let me know .I am a gay male too so I can relate!
Homer rainbow
|

replied October 13th, 2008
One other question
With ARS is it possible to have swollen lymph nodes in one area of the body and no other symptoms. No fever, no rash...?
|

User Profile
replied October 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
ARS?
|

replied March 2nd, 2011
ARS
acute retroviral syndrome

get tested
|

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2011
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.
|