Hi. I am a 24 year old gay male. I have lymph node swelling and am a little terrified. About a 2 months ago I had a few casual sexual encounters. Orally unprotected at times but ALWAYS protected anal sex. About 2 weeks ago I discovered a swollen lymph node at the top of the back of my neck (the occipital) and the glands under my jaw. No other symptoms- no night sweats, flu, rash, fever, or fatigue (more than usual with my hectic work schedule).... but I have become obsessed reading everything about swollen glands and have been continually poking and prodding myself to find more. I discovered some small what I think are "shotty" lymph nodes in my groin area. The lymph nodes on the back of my neck and under jaw have gone down in size, while not completely gone, but the very tiny "shotty" ones in my groin pretty much remain the same size. Yesterday on the sides of my neck there were two palpable if not visible swollen nodes. Today they have decreased in size. Yesterday I went to the doctor and she looked in my left ear and said it had major wax buildup- so much so that she couldn't tell if it was infected. She put me on debrox, an antibiotic in case it was infected and claritin. I began taking the medicine yesterday. On top of it I have just entered a work environment where everyone is getting sick so I have been taking some Cold-Eeze and other Vitaman C suppliments. Last night and this morning I had a very dry mouth. No sore throat. I want to believe this is a symptom of the Cold-Eeze or other medication... I want to believe that the swelling is from an ear infection but I'm scared. I know I need to get tested but I am just looking for some piece of mind.
1) I'm thin and young. Is it true that palpable small glands in the groin are normal?
2) If I really had acute HIV would all the symptoms hit at once or be graudally spread out.
3) Would an ear infection cause all the swelling in my neck or would it be more localized to one small area.
4) Can poking a lymph node and rubbing to feel for them cause the lymph node to be irritated and swell slightly.
1) I'm thin and young. Is it true that palpable small glands in the groin are normal? for some people,yes.
2) If I really had acute HIV would all the symptoms hit at once or be graudally spread out. spread out for most
3) Would an ear infection cause all the swelling in my neck or would it be more localized to one small area.it could be either...
4) Can poking a lymph node and rubbing to feel for them cause the lymph node to be irritated and swell slightly. not likely
Get tested for HIV. That really is the only good answer.You don't want to put it off and worry more and wait for more symptoms to occur.Get tested.If you are negative then no worries any more. if you are positive then you can take action. Let me know .I am a gay male too so I can relate!
Have you recently ingested any zinc cold remedies? These products can cause olfactory nerve damage which results in odd smells/tastes and even a complete loss thereof. I have olfactory nerve damage from a zinc cold remedy (cough lozenges) and I smell sulphur or burnt hair all the time. When the damage first occured I smelled ammonia very strongly.