Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

lying and schizophrenia ?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Someone I know has Paranoid Schizophrenia. I just wanted to know if LYING is part of his condition. I don't know if I should be angry at him. He is aware of the lies. The only time I suspect he is unaware of the lying is when he goes off on his paranoid delusions. But that I can understand. But what about lying for everything else. His motivation I guess about lying is to make him self feel better when in depression. But the lies are not exactly fully in touch with reality. But in any case I think he knows he is lying.

Part of his schizophrenia or is he a bad person who likes to deceive people. His lies hurt people. He seems to enjoy it. I would like to understand before I pass judgment on an old friend that I apparently really never knew because his life was all lies.

What I do know is that he has Paranoid Schizophrenia and Depression. Does he have control over his lying?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile FANTABULOUS
|

replied June 25th, 2008
re: lying and schizophrenia
I think such a person is socially and mentally impaired until they are in remission. Also, look into any medications that they may be taking. I am personally familiar with lying about one's social past while mentally ill.
|

User Profile
replied June 25th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
It's hard to really call it lying when he doesn't necessarily know what the truth is, you know what I mean? If he can't discern the truth for himself, how is he supposed to be able to tell the truth to everyone else?

Often times, people with paranoid schizophrenia will say things about family members, etc. Not to hurt the people, but because that's what they really believe. It's a sad sad condition.
|

replied June 25th, 2008
lying and schizophrenia
If your friend has episodes that are separtated by remission, I would wait until they are in remission to clarify things. It's possible that your friend doesn't know what reality is, mentally or emotionally. They might be grabbing at straws trying to understand what reality is. If you know that they will go into remission, they will probably revert back to the person you knew.
|

replied July 26th, 2008
And...
and that look in his eyes is all the other thoughts going through his mind...he's probably lost the ability to perceive himself through other peoples eyes...
|

replied October 26th, 2009
my ex fiancee says he has just been diagnosed with this illness, however at the moment i dont even know if i can trust that as since i met him our whole lives where a lie. our wedding broke up just before it was supposed to happen as he was lying to me and confused, however told everyone else he did not want this, although still says now he did he was just confused... he then had an affair and tole everyone i was a crazy stalker to cover it up.. i couldnt get the truth out of him for a very long time, he made up a house we were moving into, money, paying bills faked phone conversations etc and has now admitted these were lies, the story gets even worse even though i am now still trying to help him through. my point is if he then eventually admitted to the lies, after a long time and all be it not all of them, depending on who i want to beleive, can this have been apart of the schizophrenia, or is this a lying disorder? I still think he is lying as i am currently based in a different country to him trying to help him through, on a recent visit many things did not add up, bill paying, a lost bag with my present in,my missing car keys, a flat tire that has since not gone down, etc etc and everyone surrounding this knew nothing about it, he says they are lying. so im a very confused person who has seriously been put through the mill by this, i just dont know where i should stand and how related this could be to the illness as i cant seem to trust him at all but he will never admit to these new lies, or cover ups that do not make sense.
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2009
Lying and Schizophrenia are two opposite extremes.

The regular folk are the liars and thus constantly deceive themselves as well due to being constantly at a vast distance from the truth.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/ schizoillusion/

As in the case of the above example, the regular folk are self deceived by the picture of the “hollow mask”.

However, the so called " Schizophrenic " sees the truth instead, thus this more advanced mind does see the truth, and a less advanced mind will say that he who does see the truth must therefore have a defective mind, since a proper perfect mind must always be deceived.
|

replied April 3rd, 2011
Fantabulous, you are wrong and because you are obviously narcissistic you will not be able to accept that you are wrong.
|

replied November 2nd, 2009
it also seems to me that his condition sems to fit identically with bipolar instead. he doesnt tick all the schizophrenic boxes and seems to explain more the lying... however eventually he has since admitted two lies i knew about and this surely means it is not the illness but a plain deception or he would not have realised he was lying. Anyone have any opinion on this?
|

replied January 25th, 2013
Well it is a part of the disorder in the sense that schizophrenics a're very paranoid and scared.... So he would lie to protect himself
|

replied November 23rd, 2009
I have a son who has schizophrenia and lies to me, his father, and steals from me .

The lies are not a necessary part of the illness i.e. they all do itwith the condition . It is more likely related to the time at when the illness arrived, and the current 'what is going on'.
Arrival in adolescence brings with it adolescent behaviour, and lying I think is in that context. Schizophrenia seems to stop maturity at the ime it happens. There is also some faultline in putting current experience into memory and holding on to what is going on now, so as to build it in to what was the store of previous values and standards. Failure to stop may be part of that.

all that said challenge to the behaviour is accepted if pushed, but still the behaviour will return until the life has settled into a better supported position
I accept the beaviour because it is part ofadolescent v. father behaviour..

doesn't stop me shouting however but that's natural and soon gone
Nagging is different and unsettling.move on somehow.
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
Schizophrenics and lying
In my experience, schizophrenics do lie quite a bit, but it's to hide their true feelings about things. Unless there's a comorbidity (like a developmental disability), most schizophrenics are aware that the reality they experience is not reality.

My landlord is a jerk, so I keep getting moved into homes already populated by at least one paranoid schizophrenic, and they're absolute hell to try and live around.

My last place, the PS who lived there insisted that the water in the home didn't work. Obviously, the water worked just fine and I started using it. I found out what the lie was really covering up. The PS wrote a seven-page letter telling my landlord, my mother, my bank, the police, and a few random clergy members in town, among other things, that I was an evil person because I did laundry and took showers at home instead of at the local homeless shelter. He was afraid that the water in the house was turning people evil.

My landlord is, like I said, a jerk, so I got put into another house with a PS and the exact same thing happened. This one told me that the refrigerator didn't work, but it does. He's afraid of the refrigerator because someone put a bunch of those word magnets on the door and he thinks the refrigerator is sending him Satanic messages. He's also started to take it upon himself to remove my food from the "evil refrigerator" and flush it down the toilet on a regular basis, thereby not only stealing from me, but destroying the plumbing in the home as well.

I apologize for sounding harsh, but my opinion is based on my personal experience with schizophrenics. I do not believe that anyone who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia should be allowed to live independently. They can't make any real sense of the world around them and nobody in their environment has any hope of breaking through the noise in their heads to get any sense in. Because of this, they're inherently dangerous to themselves and others.

Consider it this way: If you believe I'm Satan, and no evidence I present can make you believe any other way, and the noise in your head tells you to kill me, that's the end of my life. Not being Satan is cold comfort for a corpse.

Thinking about my experience with paranoid schizophrenics, I must confess that I'm in fear for my life living with one. I'm afraid that the last thing I'll hear is him cocking a shotgun to my head and mumbling to himself about God. And I have no way of even *guessing* what I'll be dying for. Maybe my cat told him to kill me. Maybe I drank one too many glasses of milk that has been "evilized" by the refrigerator. Maybe he hallucinated me as the devil when I was out of the house and he'll beat me to death with a baseball bat when I return.

And this PS spends most of his time driving a big Chevy truck around town aimlessly. It's only a matter of time before this person kills someone, one way or another.

If I were in charge of what happened to paranoid schizophrenics, I would certainly not allow them to live independently. If someone the law regarded as sane did and said the kinds of things an untreatable paranoid schizophrenic does, the sane person would be locked up. Why do we allow people who do and say those things because they're insane wander around freely? Are we really saying that harming people and stealing things and issuing threats is okay if it's being done by a crazy person?

Why don't we just lock them up and tell them it's freedom? Exactly what criteria could they possibly use to tell the difference?
|

replied November 2nd, 2010
Lies
Look into sociopathic (antisocial behavior) to find information regarding lies. A sociopath will manipulate people through lies. It is all a game. The goal is to win at all costs. A sociopathic lacks the ability to relate to right and wrong although he or she can understood the concept abstractly. The emotional component however is missing. Hope this provides insight.
|

replied July 6th, 2012
My husband's mother is living with us right now and has disorganized schizophrenia. She lies constantly. I can ask her if she has taken something, she could be standing there holding it in her hand, and she will still deny that she has taken it. She has no grasp on reality, no common sense whatsoever, destoys everything she touches, yet is angry at us every day because we won't allow her to run the clothes washer (she puts all kinds of weird cleaners in it) or cook as she will probably burn the house down. We are in a constant struggle with her because she lies about everything. Yes, she takes her meds consistently because we give them to her and watch her swallow. For some schizophrenics I'm afraid the meds only keep them partially functioning.
|

replied August 14th, 2012
My boyfriend, lying and schizophrenia
I've been with my boyfriend who is a paranoid schizophrenia. I just thought he was different when we met and I'm bi-polar so i accepted his quirkiness. The the actual behaviors I've heard about started to manifest. There are imaginary bugs(spiders) on him or invisable touching by spirits, he layers his clothes- like for example 3 t-shirts and a jacket and it's 85 degrees out. I picked up his socks to put them in the laundry and he had 3 pairs on. H does'nt change and shower everyday annd will wear the same items for 5 days straight and I do remind him often. I am now dealing with all the lies he's told me. I always trusted him, but at the same time I knew very little about his condition. It seems to be gettting worse and he refuses to recieve medication. When he's not having a psychotic episode he's wonderful.Our neighbor found him wandering a couple of miles from our place- he must of known something about hiself was wrong because out of his muttering he sent my neighbor to get me. Eventually I was able to talk him into the car and out of the parink lot. Anormal drive to our place is 10 minutes. This took over an hour. He trust me and I get so worried about him Tomorrow he's suppose to go to Las vegas and stay with his grandparents for a while but he keeps changing things he told me and now he says that he has to go into hiding. It's so sad to watch him go further and further down the rabbit hole. He's only 29 and was diagnosed at about 13.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied January 3rd, 2013
lies are schizophrenia...distortions of reality.....want truth
I think I know what the truth is but I think that I am believing distortions of the perception of my mind. I am not able to believe what is in reality because I do not know or can recognize what reality is for me. I am constantly bombarded by distortions of reality. I can't seem to get to it. I know there has to be something I can grab on to that is reality in my life. I am having such a hard time recognizing it in my own life. I want to believe the truth that I can be successful even though I have this distortion in my mind. I just want to get to the truth and not believe the distortions of my perception that are in my mind. I always think thoughts that are good and can be me and can be successful but I can never seem to fully live these thoughts out
|

User Profile
replied March 29th, 2014
I have a condition similar to mild schizophrenia (schizotypal personality disorder) and I also lie a lot. I can't say for certain one causes the other but in my experience they are connected. I have no interest in hurting anyone or manipulating anyone, and most of my lies are intended to protect myself from persecution. I think living with delusions and hallucinatory experiences has blurred the lines for me between truth and fiction, and more so living with the contents of those delusions (being surrounded, in my delusion which at the time seems very real,by people who are all playing roles in a conspiracy) has distorted my standards of behavior.
|