Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Lupus and Mini facelift

Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....
Hello:

I am 47 years old and was just diagnosed with Lupus (sle), but I have no symptoms and am not taking any medicine. I want to have a mini facelift but am worried because I have Lupus. I am healthy otherwise and feel great!

My Lupus was diagnosed by accident during bloodwork that I was doing for a physical.

Please help! Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 18th, 2011
teamengle, find a medical attention right away, that disease seems no visible symtoms until you are dianosed,my friend lost his mother tru same disease, but hey dont loose hopes,i know exactly how that disease triggers you, but i wont gonna tell you here,please look for a medical attention,
|

User Profile
replied July 22nd, 2011
Diagnosis of lupus depends on the presence of a number of different factors. Lupus is a very complex disease. Just having the antibodies doesn't mean that you have the disease, however it does mean you are at increased risk for developing it.

Per American College of Rheumatology, there are 11 criteria in diagnosing systemic lupus erythematosus, 4 of which must be present. Having positive antibodies is on that list but by itself is not sufficient for a diagnosis.

That said, lupus can cause scarring by itself. Wound healing is changed in patients with lupus, so cosmetic surgery such as a mini facelift carries a higher risk of scarring and flare of lupus. I would recommend extreme caution when considering cosmetic procedures as well as an evaluation by a board-certified rheumatologist.
Helping patients achieve a healthy, vibrant appearance through highest quality dermatology care and advanced technological technique.
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2011
It is very important to consult your doctor about facelift. Maybe you can do it, if your symptoms are very easy, you can do it. Also you can visit another doctor in order to make sure in your diagnosis and get right treatment. Don't worry, find good doctor who will help you with your problems.
|
Tags: lupus, symptoms
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.