Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

lungs healing after quitting smoking ? (Page 1)

I've heard quite a lot of different answers for this one. Some people say yes they do but it takes upwards of 10-20 years, and some people say no, they never completely heal and you're screwed for life.

I'm 19 and I had my first cigarette about a year and a half ago. I usually have 2-3 a week, sometimes less, but never more than 4 a week.

I notice that my chest becomes tight after running and that I run out of breath a little more easily but nothing aside from that. I'm not concerned with lung cancer as everyone in my family is a heavy smoker and no one has had lung cancer yet (i'm talking about a pack a day or more for 30+ years for my grandparents who have never had lung problems period).

Any help would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DdBsC2011
|
Users who thank xKrazYx for this post: waytoquit 

replied June 23rd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Anyone who does not get cancer,or some other smoking related health problem, from smoking that heavily and for that long of a time is considerably lucky in my opinion....and just because THEY haven't gotten cancer doesn't mean it wont happen eventually and certainly doesn't mean it wont happen to you...

but to answer your question..yes the lungs can repair themselves if you quit smoking however it does take years for them to get back to the way they were before smoking...

IMO smoking is a bad expensive habit, I think its ignorant for people in todays society, knowing the health risks, to do it anyway and think that cancer wont happen to them....pick up a healthier habit and try giving up smoking..ask yourself why you do it..you dont seem to smoke alot...is it just for social reasons? The longer you wait to quit..the longer it will take for your lungs to repair themselves bc of tar buildup

hope i answered your question
|

replied January 5th, 2012
|

replied June 1st, 2013
Good sharing Yogesh. Thanks for that!
|

replied October 16th, 2012
It's not that easy to quit I've been smoking for 4 years I have endometriosis and the smoking triggers the pain still I dont quit people tell me I'll die IDC we all end up 6 ft under in the end. i'm trying to quit smoking with a book you telling people to quit smoking because they're ignorant makes us smoke more to piss you off we hate being told that. and ignorance means not intentionally,not knowing.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2013
Smoking is very dangerous these days specially for young generation. In youth smoking affects too bad effects and damage the lungs very badly. If anybody leaves smoking then he can recover his health and stop destroying his lungs.
|

User Profile
replied June 23rd, 2008
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*Godmother
Hi there, I have been quit now since 1991. Hardest thing I ever did. I smoked a pack a day for years............I wish I'd never had the first one. I can tell from trying to walk, run, swim, any form of exercise....I have done damage to my lungs. I do feel better than I did 17 years ago. Unless someone has smoked and been adddicted to nicotine, they will never understand how hard it is to quit. I went to a Wellness Program. More like Boot Camp for smokers.......but it worked. I wanted to quit so bad. Smoking also causes your gums to receed. This sometimes requires gum replacement surgery..........OUCH. Had to do it to save my teeth. Look at people who smoke, their hairand skin, their teeth......now that I've quit, I never realized how BAD cigarette smoke smells. It REEKS in smokers clothes, their vehicles, its horrid. You are YOUNG.....and as little as you smoke, this should be easy for you. Its all a matter of WHO HAS THE CONTROL......are you going ot allow those cigarettes to rule your life? OR are you gonna take charge and kick them to the curb? I hope you are smart and quit NOW! We have so many friends that still smoke, but when we are around them, they don't "have it in our face" and we ALWAYS go outside! Not about to go that second hand smoke passaage!
|
Users who thank Fairy Godmother for this post: pink_kisses 

replied March 23rd, 2011
ive been a smoker since around 15, and i still smoke at the age of 23 (around a pack a day). im def ready to quit, but it sooo damn good, especially after a beer or food. im replying just because i tried to explain to my friend how you dont really get as addicted to the nicotine as you do to the routine of having a cigarette. that routine is the real killer. i wanna quit but i dont wanna lie to myself. when i really decide to quit i want to succeed, but im dreading how hard its really gonna be.
|

replied March 30th, 2011
ive now been stopped for 24 days, its not easy but if your ready try the inhalator, its great, the first week was the hardest but now its got easy and im not thinking about the smoking, do it be strong.
|

replied April 13th, 2011
Becpec32
I don't have room to say anything been an on/off smoker for over 12 yrs. Oct. of 09' I watched my mother (smoker for over 30 yrs.) slowly die from lung cancer, even being diagnosed a short two and a half weeks before she passed. To her although it probably seemed an eternity. It wasn't just lung cancer...it had spread throughout her body from organs to bones. It was truly the most devastating experience of my life...of everyone who loved her. I stayed each night listening to her cries for breath her cries of pain begging for pain medication...her pleas to God to end her suffering. It continued on until she was released to home due to signing a DNR and I had to be her caretaker....wasn't easy was the hardest thing I've ever had to do....had to stand there and wonder if she was in pain couldn't get a response. Now a year and a half plus later I still have nightmares of her suffering from a broken back....struggling for air....crying pleaing....being dilusional....to watching waiting for a response that never came.... You think it would have been enough to make me quit. I have now been without for over a month and hope I will neve pick up another cigarette. I don't want my children to have to see me that way and live with the mental pain and the suffering of losing their parent that way. I love my mother very much and pray that someday she can forgive me for smoking. I pray that she will continue to remind me what a mistake
it was to ever start smoking in tue first place. I know some of you may be thinking what in the heck but hospice is not a picnic...I never thought in a million years we would lose her that way. She suffered dearly! Please, I urge everyone to quit if they can. Doesn't mean they will die if they don't...people die everyday from something other than smoking but smoking certainly isn't good. It's personal preference and I have no right to judge but if you can quit smoking! Good luck to all of you!
|
Users who thank Becpec32 for this post: lefsaqueen 

replied October 13th, 2012
I am so sorry to hear of your mom's passing. It did hit home for me. I was a smoker for over 40 years. I am 61 now. In Dec, 2010 I was diagnosed with lung cancer. The tumor was only in my right lung so I am considered "limited cancer". I went through chemo and radiation to my chest. I am blessed as the tumor is gone and has been since Feb, 2011. I will always have to worry about that other show dropping. I will always have to worry from scan to scan if my cancer came back. Once you get diagnosed with cancer, it is a life long sentence even if you go into remission like I did. I get chest scans every 4 months and every 4 months I worry if the big C is there lurking around. Cancer cells can pop up at anytime and anywhere in your body. It doesn't necessarily have to come back in the lungs. I too wish I had never picked up a cig! Good luck and I pray you can find a way to completely quit! That goes for anyone that smokes.

Linda
|

replied October 16th, 2012
I want to recomend the book I'm reading it's called the easy way to quit smoking the author will tell you to KEEP smoking dnt stop until the end of the book it's starting to help me and make me realize why I smoke
|

replied May 4th, 2011
I am 43. I started smoking when I was 16.That's 27 years of a pack a day. I smoked after dinner, with a beer and with coffee in the morning. It slowly increased from there. One week ago I suffered a severe anxiety and had a panic attack while I was at work. I thought I was going to die. My heart palpitations known as PVC's ( pre ventricular contractions) were so hard that I had an overwhelming doom and I couldn't bear having my kids grow up with out their mom. While in the ambulance my B/P was 178/100 and a heart rate over 140. A few days prior to this incident I prayed to GOD to help me quit smoking. I too have tried every quiting method known on the market but have been unsucessful. The power of Prayer really helped me, However I should have been more specific because I really didn't like the ambulance ride to the Hospital but.... I can say I have not had a ciggarette in a week and only feeling mild side effects. I drink plenty of water and for anxiety, I do deep breathing exercises. So hopefully this time next year I can have a stop smoking party and consider myself a reformed smoker. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO WANT TO QUIT .... Power of Prayer really works....
|
Users who thank DdBsC2011 for this post: lucy49  lefsaqueen  saeedfroMeast 

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied September 27th, 2011
hi
thats marvelous DdBsC2011, i also gave up at same age, similar duration of smoking & had a small lapse but now good, love to make contact with u to see if you are still on the straight and narrow, email me if u wish
|

replied September 7th, 2012
quit smoking
same thing happen to me scared me to death i been quit 3 1/2 days on bp pills want to feel better for me and my kids. so i know how you feel been there. pray helped me more then anything i went cold turkey. and i thank god its not easy but each day has got better.
|

replied September 7th, 2012
quit smoking
same thing happen to me scared me to death i been quit 3 1/2 days on bp pills want to feel better for me and my kids. so i know how you feel been there. pray helped me more then anything i went cold turkey. and i thank god its not easy but each day has got better.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Try Allen Carr's EASYWAY to stop smoking - worked for me, takes the illusion of sacrifice away, so you don't feel like you're "giving up" smoking, but "getting rid" of it.
|

replied October 18th, 2012
I am reading that right now and it's so helpful for me to realize why I smoke
|

replied August 30th, 2011
smoking's bad mmkay
i'm 23 and been smoking since I was 11, about a pack a day sometimes more, your right about the routine i found my self lighting up when I had a craving or every time one of my friends did i would look around and all my friends would pull one out at the same time (kind of like a herd of cows). its been two months since I've had a smoke what helped me out the most was having beef jerky on hand, when ever i got a craving or all my friends started smoking i would pull a piece out, it took care of the hand to mouth addiction i had, gum is good for the taste but the hand to mouth routine is the hardest to break. it helped me it might help you.
|

replied February 6th, 2012
u mentioned tht u started at the age of 15,do have trouble in breathing at times when your tensed or fustrated.
|

replied February 17th, 2012
If you are already smoking a pack a day at the age of 23 I suggest you throw the filthy things away and get on with your life!! It is not good at any time, your brain has only fooled itself into thinking that so you will give it more nicotine. It controls you, not the other way around. Ask yourself this "If you were out having dinner and drinks with friends and you had never ever smoked before and you decided to have a smoke after dinner or after that beer, would it be sooo damn good? Or would it make you feel sick and dizzy and stink? Isnt that how you felt when you first smoked? your mind has made your body immune to the stench and the poison that it is so that you will keep giving it more nicotine!
There is NO Habit!! It is a drug addiction!! See it for what it is and you will escape it!! It is hard those first few days, but have you never done anything that was hard for a few days? Dont be afraid!! Just do it!! BE FEARLESS!!
|

If you are already smoking a pack a day at the age of 23 I suggest you throw the filthy things away and get on with your life!! It is not good at any time, your brain has only fooled itself into thinking that so you will give it more nicotine. It controls you, not the other way around. Ask yourself this "If you were out having dinner and drinks with friends and you had never ever smoked before and you decided to have a smoke after dinner or after that beer, would it be sooo damn good? Or would it make you feel sick and dizzy and stink? Isnt that how you felt when you first smoked? your mind has made your body immune to the stench and the poison that it is so that you will keep giving it more nicotine!
There is NO Habit!! It is a drug addiction!! See it for what it is and you will escape it!! It is hard those first few days, but have you never done anything that was hard for a few days? Dont be afraid!! Just do it!! BE FEARLESS!!
|

|

replied June 8th, 2012
I agree with you there. I'm 28 and I've been smoking since 16. My teeth are white, my hair is long and shiny so i dont agree with the lady above about smojers are gross. I repkied to you because you are putting off quitting and so have i. I plan to quit tmrw and I hope I can. I feel as if i have sypmtoms of copd, and ill tell you, its kinda scary. I havet seen a doctor because im scared of what they might say so Im gonna quit too. I don't know how old this post is, but I hope you quit. It's not like it was 100 years ago when they grew tobacco and smoked that, now its tons of chemicals. Please quit with me!
|

replied November 19th, 2011
How do you know you still have damage to your lungs? To state that you have to know what your lungs would have been like without the cigarettes. It may be that your lungs have naturally lost their capavity/elasticity anyway.
|

replied June 23rd, 2008
I'm not addicted, I've smoked this little for the past year and a half. It's more of a social thing.

I was wondering how bad 2-4 a week is for you.
|

replied June 24th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Hi
There are tiny fibers in your lungs that are there to catch dust and things. When you smoke, you damage these fibers to the point they die, In saying this, when you stop smoking, some of these fibers will come back but, unfortunatly from what I have learned, the ones that are damaged never come back so the damage is done to your lungs but may not get worse once you quite. Could save you a few years.
|

replied November 15th, 2011
Nonsense - If a smoker quits before cancer actually starts, even if the cells are in a precancerous state, the process is highly reversible. Cilia regeneration starts in about 3 days once smoking stops. Even if cilia has been destroyed and not present for years, the lining tissue of the windpipe will start to repair. Even the precancerous cells will be sloughed off over time, reversing the cellular process to the point where the lining tissue goes back to normal.

You need to get off this forum, both of your posts have been misleading and may cause people to take the attitude "I can't be bothered giving up - I've already done the damage!". We need to accentuate the positive effects of giving up smoking including the fact that the body can pretty much repair itself to the "pre-smoker" state.
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2008
Impact of Smoking is not only Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema
Interesting,

No doubt, there are many different thoughts on smoking and the impact on our health, but cancer is only the most common disease to hit smokers, but what about heart disease and empysema?

You say your family smokes and do not have cancer, yet how do you know, are they 90 plus years old? Cancer can strike at any time, and there are millions walking around with cancer who don't know about it yet, so never assume you are safe by your parents health at this moment in time, diagnosis of cancer is often times too late, and it is one of the most cruel of all diseases as it can be slow to progress.

Heart disease is another health issue which can go undetected until you drop dead of a heart attack. Look at Tim Russert of meet the press fame, he had a complete stress test examination a couple weeks before he dropped dead of a massive heart attack. So again, don't assume you are not prone to smoking related diseases just because your parents seem healthy, you never know.

In my opinion, emphysema is the one that scared me into stopping. The reason was, I watched my Mother sufficate every day for three years until she finally gave up with no cure, and she never smoked a day in her life, but my Father did, so talk about the dangers of second hand smoke, it is not something you want to be around if you want to live a long life. She descibed it as drowing every day, and as a kid, I did drown, but fortunately was brought back by lifeguard, but I will never forget that feeling when you gasp for air and there was none, then total blank, sort of a silent peace, and I imagine that is what death is like.

Simply put, cancer is the least of my worry, drowning every day would be a living hell, and since you can live with cancers and heart disease for many years, the pain can be handled with drugs, but with emphysema, there is nothing you can do other than suck on an oxygen tank extending your total misery, as was the case with my Mother. My Father died of heart attack at 46, so my Mother was only exposed to second hand smoke for 25 years, yet look what it did to her.

Bottom line, your body is telling you it does not want your to smoke, pain is the signal, so don't ignore it. Everyone can remember their first drag on a cancer stick like it was yesterday, the pain, the choking and coughing, and yet almost everyone will ignore this and keep smoking. Sad, but true, I did, and most I know did. I was talking with a friend yesterday and he found a black spot on lung xrays, and he never smoked either, yet subjected to second hand smoke much of his life, so never say never, you never know when cancer, heart disease or emphysema will stike.

As one who tried everything to stop over the years, I finally kicked nicotine addiction with new electronic cigarettes, so if you feel you must smoke, switch to a non tobacco no second hand smoke alternative, and dial down your nicotine level and in two months you can kick it, and if those who feel they need to continue smoking, you can, without the cacinogens or nicotine, so the best of both worlds is now a reality, safe cigarettes, so no more excuses that you can't quite, I did.

Remember, Wealth Without Health is Worthless
|
Users who thank StopSmoking for this post: tylia27 

replied August 23rd, 2008
hi there i wouldnt worry too much 4 ciggarettes a week is nothing .people smoke 4cigs in 1 hour
but then again smoking is bad altogether its not reccommended to any1
i doubt you have done any damage at all really
its heavy smokers who do the most damage to themselfs
just as a guess id say you will recover fine but im not a professional lol
|

replied January 21st, 2009
Quit while you can
Take a fools advice, quit while you can!! I smoked anywhere from 1/2 pack to 2 packs a day for 30 years. I'm now 3 days smoke free. I put them down cold turkey and can ALREADY tell the difference in my health. I can breath better, I can taste food again, I can even smell true smells again. My mind was made up to quit, so I'm praying that the habit won't come back to haunt me. However, this has been a long and winding road to get to where I am. I cannot think of one good thing to say about smoking, not ONE. I can think of many things to say about quitting: save money, stop hummiliating yourself by stinking so badly everywhere you go, keep from harming your loved ones with second hand smoke, breath better, sleep better, function better, walking without wheezing and becoming breathless, able to inhale all the way without coughing up half a lung, I could go on and on...SMOKING is a disease, a horrible controlling habit. Give it up while you still can. If you can. It's not an easy thing to do. The damage it does is real and takes a long time to reverse, if it reverses at all.
|
Users who thank Karen7199 for this post: tylia27  lefsaqueen  pink_kisses  pink_kisses 

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2009
it is medically proved that having a maximum of 5 cigarettes a day is not damaging your lungs. however, for those who have more, lungs do eventually cure, of course depending on the damage that's been done to them.

i have been smoking 20-30 cigs a day for 7 years and on the lungs x-ray there's no evidence of any damage that would look worst then having caught a plain old cold.

i am sure of that, cos i am forced to do a lot of medical tests every 2-6 months cos im a program because i suffer from arthritis.

also, because of the treatment i take for arthritis, i have almost no immune system left..
|

replied December 12th, 2012
You are an idiot. You can't even spell let alone use proper English. Who the hell would take advice or listen to you? You've smoked 20-30 cigarettes a day for 7 years with "no evidence of damage to your lungs past a plain old cold?" News flash!! You have successfully inhaled 25x7x52x7=63,700 cigarettes. Cancer and every other smoking related disease under the sun is calling your name my friend. Good luck to YOU! Haha
|

replied January 27th, 2009
fools
look for those of you who smoke and think just a few or once in awhile doesn't hurt anything...you are only fooling yourself!!!.
I have smoked for over thirty years. it started as a cool thing / part of the cool group/ I liked the high..blah blah blah. I am now on my second week of no cigs..not one...for the efirst time in over thirty years...I feel better about myself then I ever have.. No longer do I smell of that rancid odor...and believe me. once you have truly stopped for just a few days. you know what that smell is....for those of you thata only have a couple a day or a couple a week... I have one question......WHY?????? the risk is not worth the reward.. be smarter then that!! when I was a kid we didn't know of all the issues like we do today. If you think your a smart person / strong person/ or just one that wants to live...just hang it up now...your choice...cigs? or life?....I'm going with the life...Yea, I've only gone a week and 1/2...I have a long way to go...count on me making it....I've never gone more then a day or a few hours....if any of you need help or a support person....I will be willing...
|
Users who thank TS for this post: tylia27 

replied May 21st, 2011
I also thought i would not stop smoking (ever) i've been
24 days smoke free and feelin much better health wise also know i have a long way and i will deal with it a day at a time. thanks for sharing your story
good luck!!
|

replied May 21st, 2011
I also thought i would not stop smoking (ever) i've been
24 days smoke free and feelin much better health wise also know i have a long way and i will deal with it a day at a time. thanks for sharing your story
good luck!!
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
I truly need a support person...I picked my quit day and time...noon Sunday May 22nd....and I am prepared for it to be hard, but I am sure I am not prepared enough and I know I am going to need support so if anyone can help me, and support me and offer tips, i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you....
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2013
Hiya
I was feeling like that my quit day was today and was dreading it all last week but I did it and haven't smoked at all. Happy to support you. No day is a good day to quit but u just got to stop. Feels strange but its ok
Liz
|

replied May 11th, 2012
I need help how did u stop?
|

User Profile
replied May 23rd, 2013
Champix from the GP
|

replied February 2nd, 2009
Hope
All you can do is hope. Every body is different, and it is encouraging to think about how good you feel when you don't have smoke in your body. Exercise will surely help. As far as damage, I think some is reversible. Some probably isn't. The alveoli are air filled sacs and they become damaged from smoke and I doubt they have the ability to repair. I once did a report on lungs and they are a beautiful organ and I said I would never smoke. Unfortunately, I've smoked weed for 6 years and cigarettes for 9 months. I think the damage from the 9 months of cigs is far worse than the 6 years of weed. I probably smoked 10 cigs a day on average for the last 9 months, and believe me, I have no grip in my lungs right now and it is hard for me to play basketball or ice skate. I am quitting TODAY and I can only pray to God things get better. I have heard the lungs will completely repair themselves in 10 years, but I don't know how accurate that is. I want to consult an expert. It's funny, WebMD is awful in the explanations of what smoking does. I think that's because it is different for everyone. The rejuvenation of my lungs is my focus now.
|

replied February 12th, 2009
50 years smoking and finally quit !
Ive smoked between 2-4 packs a day for over 50 years... started at 14, i'm 65 now. I quit 5 days ago and now when i get up in the morning guess what....... NO COUGH !! It's wonderful... yes i crave having a cig, but there is NO WAY im putting those things back in my mouth again. I cleaned my vehicle, my house, and all my clothes... after smelling people who smoke now, all i can say is, I must have smelled horrible.. how embarassing.
Please.. if you are young.... dont start, and if you already smoke..... quit quit quit !! God bless and good luck to all
|
Users who thank smokenomore for this post: tylia27 

replied December 12th, 2012
FOUR packs a day for over FIFTY years? You are telling me you smoked 80 cigarettes a day for over 50 years which would be about 1.5 million cigarettes and you woke up on day five as a non smoker with no cough? I've smoked 5 packs a WEEK for 10 years. I woke up on day 12 of not smoking and still suffer from a smokers cough. Get real.
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2009
Congratualtions for stop smoking
Wow, talk about cold turkey, this is a great example of determination to stop smoking. I congratulate you for committing to stop, it is not easy, but you know you have to do it, and each day you will feel better and better, so stick with it.
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Stopped smoking- again
I stopped smoking 3 months ago. Previously I quit 3 times for 6 months (was up to 2 packs a da) and 3 years ago I quit for 11 months (never over 3/4 pack a day- see tip below). This time it is for real. I am 56, started when I was 19. Father-in-law is dying- hospice comes in now. He can't get enough oxygen to remain fully awake anymmore. I have a tip for stopping that helped me eveytime. Keep a small rectangle of paper inside the cellepane wrapper-new one each day. Write down the time everytime you light one up. It will decrease your smoking in half right away. After a few weeks try to wait an hour between light ups. Try to extend the or to decrease the number smoked by one a day. Doctor told me once you get to 6 or less a day- you are no longer hooked on the nicotene-it is habit only. I quit cold turkey when I got to 10. Feeling much better but not like I did when I quit for 11 months- hope my lungs can repair but can't be worse than not quitting. Good luck to anyone who quits.
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
in my 3rd month and going strong
Hey All,
In my 3rd month thought I would post an update.
NO GIGS!!! after 30+ years. I am now running..up to 2.25 miles per day. feeling like i'm in my 20's again!...
OH, What a great feeling of strength, self esteem,
|

replied March 30th, 2009
7 years smokefree
You can recover 23 years 3 packs aday
Now ive been racing cross ccountry mountainbikes and 24hr endurance races
for about 5 years, plan on doing 3 24hr solo races this year . Im 45. Life is good now.
I want to incourage all you smokers out there
Just find away to take back control of your life. I used actupunture and made it work!
GOD BLESS ALL
|

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2009
Just quit
Hello, I am 19 and started smoking when I was 17. I just quit but was up to almost two packs a day. Now that I've quit I DO worrie about the damage I caused myself. I have been struggeling on and off with this for about three weeks. Typicall medications to help me quit, well then scare me. I hate medication. I wont even take a tylenol for a headache and when I'm sick I have to be dragged to the docters.
Since I'm so young, and haven't been smoking all that long, are my chances of healing higher? Or does it not matter? I mean, I don't know what I'm really asking. Guess its just nice to find an online community full of fellow supporters. Reading what everyone has to say has really blessed my heart and helped me keep on the road to quiting. I am four days smoke free and feel better then I have in a while. Thanks for all the adivce you guys give out and the support!
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
ur 19 and have only smoked for 2 years. If you quit now and start to exercise/breathing exercises, most of the damage if not all will be healed. I'm 21 and have smoked since i was 14... And im not talking only about smoking cigarettes, I smoked heroin/cocaine basically everything.. U should see me, i look totally different from when i was 14-16.. it's sad and i even become depressed about it. Don't become like me and quit now.. you're probably still healthy and have much to live for as do i.
|

replied April 24th, 2009
smoking
there is always a wise acer in the pack and you fit it to a tee. Proably never smoked in his life.
|

replied April 26th, 2009
esmokez.com
I used an electronic cigarette to quit.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Get Real and Face the Facts about Smoking
Seriously people, nicotine is perhaps the most addictive drug we know of...more addictive than Cocaine and Heroin. This is based on statistical information and relapse rates.

Yet people seem to ignore this fact and think otherwise. There is no risk from cigarette overdose (unless you buy concentrated amounts of nicotine and consume it), so people overlook the facts, and convince themselves otherwise. Convincing oneself that an extremely addictive drug is not addictive, and making up a number of untrue excuses to justify one's habit is a symptom of addiction as defined in the DSM (at least I'm pretty sure of this).

There are consequences to just smoking 4-5 a week. If you're not already addicted (I find this highly unlikely), you will be unless you quit now. Once an addict, always an addict. This is true of other drug addictions and alcoholism (I am a recovering alcoholic and drug addict as well). There is no such thing as becoming a social smoker once again, no such thing having just one without triggering the addiction mechanism via nicotine entering the body and affecting neurotransmitters (think dopamine).

As for long term consequences, go and check out the types of lung cancer caused by cigarette smoking. They are the worst. Take a look at images of small-cell carcinomas (oat cell) and what they look like in the lung. They are huge, grow extremely quickly once they form, and by the time of diagnosis have usually spread to other sites including the lymph nodes, the brain, bones, etc. Typical prognosis is a number of weeks without treatment, and with it something like 12 months. This is because this type of cancer is highly resistant to strong chemotherapy.

Look at photos of healthy lungs too...in our day and age, these lungs have specks of dark deposits in them from urban air pollution. So add a few cigarettes a week to that and you've got your answer.

And if you don't live long enough to get lung cancer or emphysema (try breathing through a straw for several minutes, and see if you want to end your life in such misery), you run the risk of heart disease, stroke, retinopathy, kidney failure, and the list goes on and on.

All I can say is, having quit smoking (in addition to the other substances a long time prior), I feel the best I've felt in years, and there's no way in hell you could convince me to take just one puff today.

That being said, yes, lungs do heal after quitting. Cilia regrow, mucus is removed, and slowly cells repair themselves and pre-cancerous cells are sloughed off. But alveolar sacs that have prolapsed do not regrow. Also, the sooner one quits, the less time it will take to reverse the damages done by smoking. I mean, look at images of the autopsied lungs of smokers and imagine how long it would take to unblacken those lungs, as opposed to those of someone who smoked for 5 years instead of 30.

Best of luck to those of you who have quit, will quit, or want to quit. My thoughts are with you.
|
Users who thank NastasyaFB for this post: logancsmama 

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2011
Once an addict, always an addict? that is very unfair and sorta of clouds the idea of hope that people can do something about change. I know many who have stopped. your comment of "Once an addict, always an addict" has been proven by millions false.. you shoot hope of anyone even trying. thats sad to discourage anyone who wants to actually do it! shame you say that so freely.
|

User Profile
replied August 17th, 2011
on another note then you contradict in it all, glad you found your additions and beat them, but the statement in the whole post was redundant and kinda pointless.. the positives you did post is common knowledge. we dont always share our fouls on the web so never say never or cant.. good luck to all who try and do stop smoking!!
|

replied November 6th, 2011
Once an addict always an addict does fit. It means the want for it never goes away but it is something that can be overcome. I quit for 8 years but was really stressed one day and thought what can 1 do. Well, 2 and a half years later here I am trying to quit again, and it is hard very hard. I have to keep that one day at a time in my head or I will smoke again. The addiction is always there, we must never forget that it is an addiction. Once we understand that it is easier to make the decision to not ever puff again. I am on my 16th day, hopefully this time I will make it for life and not just 8 years.
|

replied December 13th, 2011
I totally agree. I don't think the addiction ever goes away either. I am 34 and have been smoking since I was 14. I've quit 3 times, through 3 pregnancies, and started right back up each time. I think you cannot forget that you are addicted and must never pick one up again. I am on my second day of quitting and am praying to the Lord that I don't ever smoke again. I want to live to see my kids grow up.
|

replied November 23rd, 2011
Take it first hand from me, I used cocaine/heroin excessivly for long periods of time. Started with cocaine/oxy's when i was 15 up till I reached about 18 and finally kicked the coke. But from 18-20 I continued my use with the opiods and graduated from pills to heroin. I've now been 5 months sober off everything, except for suboxone (which im perscribed at low doses) and cigarettes. So YES, his statement is true, there have been many studies that indicate Nicotine, and the routine of smoking is just as if not MORE addicting than coke/heroin. Please stop now if you can!! Don't imprison yourself and be apart of this disgusting habit! Humans aren't meant to put smoke in there lungs, we're meant to live healthy lives that include exercising/proper nutrition and being out in nature!! We're not a machine who can put tons of toxins/poison in our body without having negative side effects!!
|
Tags: healing
Quick Reply