Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Lumps in the breast and collar bone and breast cancer

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
I about 3 months i found a lump in my breast its hard it doesnt move and it doesnt hurt now ijust notice lump on my carllor bone its bigger than the lump on my breast an its also hard an doesnt hurt could it be cancer

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2010
Breast Cancer Answer A10872

Given the data you provided (hard lump in the breast that does not hurt or move, hard lump in the collar bone that does not hurt), it cannot be determined for sure whether the condition is cancer or not.

Breast cancer might be detected as a lump in the breasts. It is not painful. If it is close to the surface, it might change the skin above. If it is close to the nipple it might change its position (not in center) or mucus or blood might come out of the nipple. Breast cancer might metastasize in the lymph nodes close to the breasts (in the armpit, close to the collar bone or in the lymph nodes that are inside the thoracic and abdominal cavity).

On the other hand, the symptoms you reported might be unrelated to breast cancer. For example, the lump you touched in the breast might be a cyst and the lump close to the collar bone might be an enlarged lymph node due to infection of tissue located near by (neck, shoulder and arm).

You might want to visit a thoracic surgeon for a physical examination and mammography. An ultrasound of the breasts might be needed. The doctor might decide to take a fine needle biopsy of the lump or surgically remove it completely and send it for microscopic analysis. If the results show that the lump was cancer, additional oncological treatment (chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy) might be needed.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.