Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Lumps in groin area

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hi, I'm a 17 year old male. A few weeks ago I noticed a small, pea-sized lump on my scrotal skin. The lump was skin-coloured and fairly hard. There were also a few much smaller, white lumps dotted around the scrotal skin. A few days ago I noticed that the pea-sized lump had a small white bit at the top. It started to itch slightly so I scratched it and noticed a bit of liquid come out. The lump has now shrunk but the other smaller lumps remain. However, now there appears to be a larger, redish lump between my scrotum and my right thigh. It's quite hard and feels slightly sore when I touch it. Other than the lumps I don't appear to be suffering from any other symptoms.

The lumps may be unrelated but I just wanted to hear your opinions on what it may be and whether it's harmful or not.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2010
Hi,

It can be due to a boil or a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin.They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected,Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

i hope it helps. Take care and regards.

|
Users who thank anandsingh for this post: coconut88 

replied November 22nd, 2010
Thank you very much doctor, that's reassuring.
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.