Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Lump under skin on throat

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
User Profile
i have a lump on my throat under my skin. It is on the front of my throat in the area of my adams apple (i'm female).
it is painless and moves when i swallow but feels like it is attached to my throat (possibly thyroid gland). i am very worried what this could be. ive been to see my dr who has told me to come back in a couple of weeks for a check up. it is still there. not changed in size after 2 weeks.please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 15th, 2010
Thyroid Cancer Answer A17817
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum.

There are various causes of painless lump in throat and viral or bacterial infection is the commonest cause which can cause enlarged lymph nodes.
Thyroid gland may also produce lump due to any thyroid disease. Lumps present in the skin or below the skin can be because of cysts like sebaceous cysts.
It also depends on various factors as the size, shape,consistency,any increase or decrease in size,pain and location.
Since I am not examining you it is difficult to comment upon.According to the symptoms you describe( painless, no change in size) it seems like infection. You might consider getting it examined after few weeks and may go for investigations like biopsy which will help to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope it helps.
Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.