Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Lump under skin on leg

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I found a lump under the skin on my left leg above the back of my knee on the back side of my leg. The lump is hard I can move it from side to side a little. I do not know how long I have had it. It does not hurt. My legs do not hurt. I do have diabetes and high blood pressure but it has been very low for the last year. I have been in Ukraine for the past 17 months, I do a lot of walking and eating better. I came with 90 days worth of pills and still have about 30 days worth left. I am much more healthier being here.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2010
Skin Answer A12252
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Well, the lump you have could be a cyst and as is more towards the back of the knee, then it can be a Baker’s cyst or a popliteal cyst. The other possible cysts are sebaceous cysts which occur due to blocked sebaceous glands.

The other possibility is a ganglion. This can arise due to repetitive use of joint or due to rheumatoid arthritis or sometimes without a cause too. It is usually a swelling in the tendon of a muscle. Since you are walking a lot now, this could be a cause.

It can also be a swollen lymphnode if you have an injury in leg or a skin rash or eczema near by.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with a doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.