Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Lump under skin on face

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
It started with an extremely huge and painful lump on my actual ear, which I am assuming was a cyst or horrible pimple. At the same time, my lymph node (or so I think) under my ear on that same side was swollen. The ear seems to finally be healing, and the swollen lymph node is gone I believe. But now, I have this lump under my skin on my face right in front of my ear. I have no health insurance, and I am very worried that this could be something more serious than I hope. I thought maybe it was an infection that would pass in time, but the more research I do the more I get worried because I see a lot of things leading to tumors. Also, around the same time the pimple or cyst on my ear began, I started having problems with my eye. It is extremely painful, red and swollen. I was told it was just a sty, but it keeps reoccuring and moving from the top eyelid to the bottom, same side of face as everything else. Please help!! :(

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2010
Skin Answer A12149
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the swelling in front of right ear along with painful, red and swollen eye involving both upper and lower eyelids.
There are a couple of conditions which come to my mind on reading your post.
1- a pre-auricular cyst arising from a pre-existing pre-auricular sinus (a small congenital pit which sometimes goes unnoticed and at times is bilateral). if it gets infected, it leads to a pre-auricular abscess.
2- a parotid lymph node (found in the substance of the parotid gland).
There are other differential diagnoses as well like parotid swelling and abscess, parotid tumour etc. - but one has to clinically examine before arriving at a diagnosis. So, i suggest that you should consult your GP first.
Good luck.
Note: This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.