Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Lump under jaw, submandibular area, an artery, a muscle...?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I am 25 years old, female. Late Feb, I noticed a little hard nodule under my jaw. It is tender, hard, fixed. Scares me. So, I have anxiety, so I run to urgent care. Dr. says he can't feel anything( I know because it is kinda up there, not on the surface). He thought I was loony and told me do not worry, goodbye. ENT dr. says not to worry about it. Then I go to Emergency for another issue and bring it up there. They say that it is on both sides, but more prominent on that side. It is part of anatomy or something. But, it is tender on the larger side than the not-so-large side, not from me poking it either. I didn't poke it for a month and it still feels tender when I touch it.

So, I go back to ENT, he says it is an artery, someone else says it is a muscle... Getting irritated with all this, lol. ENT noticed an 'on the border lymph node on my upper neck' and 'neck fullness' towards the bottom on the same side as the jaw thing.

Also, went to GP 2x they said maybe a stone formed, did not seem to care. So I went back and pushed soo I got an ultrasound of thyroid, soft tissue and submaxillary. Ultrasound showed nothing they said. When I asked to be read results they did say a subcentimeter right lobe nodule with course calcification (so that was in thyroid).

So, I get an MRI w contrast of head and neck. MRI came back as no swollen nodes or lyphadenopathy I think is the word. Should I just have someone stick a needle up there? It is still painful when touched, noticed the ear on that side I cannot hear as well, and feel a tightness in my throat all the time. it may be bigger, not sure if that is paranoia, from me jabbing it, or it grew? Also, n o one ever provided antibiotics
My submental nodes do seem swollen and hard, painful.

I am so lost!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 9th, 2012
(online)
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

Lymph node enlargement is a very common sign and can cause many people to get stressed and ‎lose their sleep. A few major ‎symptoms and danger signs can help you differentiate very common ‎benign conditions from those indicating conditions like ‎cancer and chronic diseases. ‎

Symptoms like persistent fever, weight loss, night sweats along with multiple enlarged, painless ‎lymph nodes may indicate ‎conditions like lymphoma or cancer.‎

Smaller single nodes, that are tender to pressure without any other signs mentioned above can ‎signify many common ‎conditions including including upper respiratory tract infections, chronic ‎infections like tuberculosis, local asymptomatic skin ‎infections, etc.‎

You might consult a doctor for a physical examination and proper advise. In the mean time, you can take Advil or Motrin , for a few days, and apply cold packs over the lumps. This measure, will help in ‎resolution of your symptoms to some extent. ‎

|

replied July 25th, 2012
Mouth Lump
Hello,
I was a Tobacco chewer from past 8 years or so and have stopped it recently. But exactly after the day i stopped chewing i felt a pain inside my lower end part of the jaw from where the wisdom teeth grows up. It seems to be a very small white lump and pains when my upper teeths come in contact with the lower. I am so nervous now as what it could be. I dint go to doctor till now as today i realised of making a search on the net and came around with details which thrilled me and while writing this believe me my hands still shivering with fear. Is it a mouth cancer lump ??? Plz help me with my querry of what should i do or what it could be ???? Plz help me
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.