Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Foot Disorders Forum

Lump on Top of Foot

Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....
Hi.

I was scratching the top of my foot the other day and noticed a little lump about an inch down from the base of my big toe. It's about the size of a pea and feels like it's right along the bone running down from my big toe. It doesn't really hurt, although it gets a little uncomfortable when certain shoes I wear cut into that area. I was hoping you could tell me what it could be. I've done some googling and the most common answer that came up was a ganglion cyst, but it doesn't appear to be this. It's not "squishy" and soft or big at all. It's more on the "hard" side, doesn't appear to be "movable" and you can't really see it when looking at my foot - you have to feel it to detect it. I've never had any problems with my feet so this is very unusual for me. I'm guessing I should go to the doctor to be sure. Is it possible it could be cancerous?

Thank you for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 3rd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
lindl,

Actually, you are probably correct, in that, this is most likely a ganglion cyst. Ganglion cysts are the most common "tumor" in the body. They can arise from any joint or tendon sheath. Ganglions can be of any size, from only detectable with palpation to the size of a golf ball. They can be firm and hard (usually the smaller ones), to soft squishy fluid filled balloons. They can come and go, some getting larger with activity and reducing in size with rest. Most are not painful themselves, but can press on structures around them, causing symptoms.

Some other causes of lumps include epidermal inclusion cysts (EIC), foreign body reaction, fibrosis, sebaceous cyst, osteophyte, etc. Malignant tumors are very uncommon. However, if you are concerned about it, you should probably have it looked at, for your own peace of mind, if nothing else.

Good luck.
|

replied September 10th, 2012
cysty/lump on foot
ihave one as well that just appeared in the exact same place on my foot as yours is....i went to the hospital on unrelated issues,but the E.R. doc looked at my foot as well and told me it was a "Ganglion cyst" and that its normal & cxommon to get them, and since im so acxtive it stayed the size of a golf ball for over a month,but when i was admitted into the hospital for a few days, it seemed to help it gert smaller because i woke up this morning and its almost all gone....im not a doctor and cant tell you exactly what your "lump/knott" is for certain, but ity sounds like mine, and the doc seemed to be pretty certain that it wasnt any sort iof cancerous tumor, benign or malignant...... if your still concerned, you should gio to the doctor, but try not to worry too much, because its more than likely nothing bad, and stressing over it, will make your health worse.....good luck Smile
|
Quick Reply