Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

lump on the bottom of tailbone

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
The other morning when I woke up, I noticed an odd lump in my crack on the left side of my tail bone. It hurts when I sit and lay down, it also hurts when i touch it. Sad
I am 18 years old and I have no idea what this could be, whether is could be a tumor or just a hemroid.PLEASE HELP!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs
|

User Profile
replied June 12th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Welcome to EHEALTHforum!
You don't need to worry about cancer.
This lump has different character.

Does the lump look like a large pimple at the bottom of the tailbone, just above the crack of the buttocks?
Does it look red and swollen?
Is a pus draining from the lump?
|

replied June 16th, 2008
yes to the first two questions.
its not draining it feels like it wouldnt pop or anything, the swelling has gone down and it feels smaller.
could it just be a sweat gland or somthing?
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The lump you have is called pilonidal cyst, is common for young men your age (their usual position is slightly to the left side, as in your case, and the peak incidence of Pilonidal disease is between 16 and 26)
When the cyst becomes infected it is known as pilonidal abscess (swollen, red and filled with pus)
This lump can vary in size and hurts when you press on it - if it's infected it will hurt a lot (any movement seems to make the pain worse).

Since the size of the lump has decreased, the abscess has probably drained a little.

Have you noticed that the skin in that area has been itchy?
Are you prone to acne?

Try to sit in a warm tub to get the pain alleviated.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied August 28th, 2008
DEFINITLY a pilonidal, research it and go to a doctor, or go to general surgery but you would need a refferal from a doctor anyways... Oh and by the way i'm an overweight girl with a lot of hair XD but even if you aren't you can have one, yes it's more common for men but women get it too try to either sit up really straight or on your oouter leg message me if you have questions!
|

replied August 24th, 2009
I am 22 and also woke up yesturday morning with as you decribed a "Pilonidal" At first i thought it was a bruse from sitting on my floor for ages.

Apparently tyou have from birth but only come once triggered.

Everyone says to completly remove as draining only last for a year or so.

Without sounding nasty - To leave a scar in your crack isnt a noticable place.

i am worried and dont want to hassle but im sure it'll be fine soon.
|

replied December 11th, 2009
lump on my tailbone
i have the same thing. i have it 4 days and its getting bigger! will it go away itself or are there any antibiotics for a pilonidal?
|

replied December 11th, 2009
I had the Pilondial for just over a week, after the 5th day or so the lump burst and horrible smelly yellow puss started to escape I would often spend a little time sqeezing to releave some of the pain.

I was issused antibio's.

I would suggest no more than 2 weeks before its either gone or reducing in size.
|

replied February 2nd, 2010
Pilonidal Cyst reply
I had a Pilonidal cyst my senior of High School (1993) and I think it's coming back. I'm 34 now. They treated it first with antibiotics and it went down. I went to Cosmetology School after High School and I bent down hitting the tray of a pop machine in the tailbone area and it came back and got really bad. I had to go have it lanced. Not to be crude but I had to hold one cheek up as we walked into the Dr.'s office because it hurt so bad. My Mom and I laughed about it later! LOL! They stuck a needle in it to numb me and then lanced it. I didn't have a lot of trouble after 1994/1995 while I was Cosmetology School...but it came back in late 1999 and opened on it's own...and stayed open so they decided to remove it. They made a football shaped incision and did not sew it back up...it needed to packed and changed and cleaned with Saline Solution twice/day. They cleaned the area out very well and don't sew it so it heals from the inside out and it also fills the open area that are prone to these cysts with scar tissue in hopes to fill up that space to reduce the chances of the cyst coming back. It left me very sore, etc for several weeks and once it starts healing it REALLY itches! LOL! They didn't guarantee it wouldn't come back but they hoped with their technique that it wouldn't...there's a very small vertical line as a scar and it's barely below that and on my right "cheek" this time. It is so sore and I fear having to go through this again! I've been a little sore off and on lately but noticed a little drainage...more like blood and now there's no drainage at all and it's very painful! Most articles I've read online say antibiotcis don't help but I remember them helping me at FIRST! I need to go the Dr., I guess. Grrrrr! LOL! I don't have insurance! Hope Obama helps! LOL! Ok...I'm gonna go follow Dr. Mom's orders for now...very hot wash cloth on my butt!
|

replied July 23rd, 2011
Hi there I've got the exact same thing!
I'm a 17 year old girl by the way.
It's been 4 days now since the pain began. I cannot sit down, i can sit but only if i lean forward. I can feel a lump but I have no idea whether or not it's meant to be there. I have not fallen or injured myself in any way that would have caused this. Not being funny or nothing but I dont take much notice of the inside of my butt so I cant remember if the bump was there or not, i'm kinda thinking maybe I'm being a bit paranoid haha! I tried squeezing the lump but it's agony just going near it so i can't really tell if its a cyst or what, it is not red it's just a lump right in the middle of my butt crack, which makes me think maybe its just bone that's bruised or damaged, i don't know.

I am scared of going to the doctors because of were it is it's going to be embarrassing! I'm just hoping that I will wake up and the pain will have gone. I've been taking strong ibuprofen and that does subside the pain but doesn't get rid of it.

Any ideas? I'm getting worried and fed up of being in constant pain!
|

replied October 10th, 2011
Im an 18 year old male and ive had this for probably about a year and a half. I never went to the doctors for it because it didnt really bother me. Yea it would hurt from time to time doing sit ups or something like that, but oh well. It eventually popped on its own and discharges a puss/blood mixture every once and a while. I see no need to go to a doctor for it be it that it doesnt hurt and is causing no harm to me at all. My underwear comes clean so that doesnt bother me either. But long story short had and still have it and its been a year and a half, the pain will cease.
|

replied April 19th, 2012
I've got the same thing. In the beginning I thought it was just like acne on my face. That I got it from having a sweaty crack. Then I learned we are born with it. Pilonidal Cysts are no joke if you have one get it removed with surgery. Mine started when I was 19. It has always came and been somewhat painful and been gon in a few weeks. When you bump the cyst by sitting down to hard or falling down it triggers the cyst. At first I thought it was just bruising. Then as it grew I thought I was growing a tail it got so hard. One time last year around Christmas it got to the point I couldn't sit down or barely even walk. The cyst that would grow and shrink at the top of my crack was around my tail bone and I sat on it wrong or something, but when it has to drain it will find a way. This time the abcess was directly on my sphincter. My butthole ached I was constipated the hole time I had the abcess. I couldn't squeeze my cheecks to hard without sheering pain shooting throughout my body. Went to the doctors and they stuck a scope in me to check for hemroids then proceeded to poke my abcess with needles in an attempt to drain it. Most painful and humiliating experience of my life. They couldn't drain it so they stuck me again with pain killer this time. Lasted 6 hours and the percosettes just made me throw up all night which was fine because I couldn't sleep anyways. All of the painfull dry heaving I was doing forced this thick peanut buttery puss and blood combo out of every single tiny needle hole the doctors had made in the abcess. My wife the saint she is was kind enough to squeeze the rest of the toe jam smelling diseased goo out of my backside while I muffled my girlish screams with a pillow. Well it completely cleared up by the time I got the surgeon referral in the mail and I didn't go. Now it is April one week from my birthday and it is back again.

Lesson of the story if you have a Pilonidal Cyst get surgery before you have to go through something like that.
|