Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

lump on right side of neck

My freinds daughter is 19 year old and having lump on the right side of the neck since past 45 days. It got reduced with anti-inflammatory drug initiaaly but again enlarged after a months time. Size is 1.5 cm and it is floating type. We went to GP who advised TB-Gold test with all other general tests including FT3, FT4, TSH etc. TB-Gold result came positive.

He has now advised for FNAC and I am waiting for the result.After the taking out the sample today there is little pain in the lump.

We are getting impatient. What could be cause of this lump and is it ncessary to go for treament of TB as test is positive.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Experienced User
If your doctor thinks it's necessary to do more investigating, then I think that's a good thing. To many doctors do too little testing.

The lump is probably enlarged lymph nodes. Has he ordered a chest x-ray or anything else for the TB? Has she had other symptoms?

I would suggest taking a list of your questions to the office visit and make the doctor answer them. Particularly, what he is looking for in the FNAC, what happens if it's negative or positive, what treatment she should receive, what the prognosis is, what other tests she should have, is she contagious, what are the odds that the TB test is wrong, what other possibilities are there, etc. You will feel much more in control and able to make decisions if you are fully informed.

Be nice, but firm when you ask these questions and don't let the doctor dismiss you. After all, you are paying him, right?

Let us know what the doctor says.
|

replied May 7th, 2009
lump on right side of neck
Igot te X-ray of chest done too which was normal.
FNAC result are ok. Thereis nothing found in it abnormal. I got the CECT / CT scan also done for neck and chest. they too are showing nothing abnormal except for the infllamation of nodes - size 18 mm x 9 mm. Nothing in lungs, chest etc.and no co-relation with lump. FNAC and CT both suggests it can be because of some infection in th body.

doctor has finally advised for some ant-biotic and anti-inflammatory drug for 7 days.
reg TB gold test being positive, he says that it indicates only latent tb (wich most of us may have)and doctor says we can wait and watch that as nohing similar has come in CT and FNAC. Hope things become ok now.
|

replied July 25th, 2012
Lump on ride side of neck
I just experienced the same situation. I'm also 19 years old and around 5 days ago noticed a small lump on the right side of my neck, a bit towards the back. I thought I had pulled a muscle, since my neck was really sore the first two days and so I applied a muscle pain relief cream 2-3 times a day, up until now and noticed the lump is still there. I'm not too sure if the lump has decreased in size but I feel like at times it may be slightly smaller than other days. I'm going to a walk in clinic today, to figure out exactly what it is.
|
Quick Reply