Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Lump on neck under skin

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
I have this hard lump that is located about an inch below my ear near my jaw line. I was having sharp pains and discomfort around my ear so I got it checked out but never mentioned the lump just said I was having pain near my ear. The doctor diagnosed me with TMJ and gave me muscle relaxer that did no help for the pain. The pain is on and off. My dad died from malignant sarcoma soft tissue type at 36 and his mom died at 24 from hodgkins lyphoma. I am 18 and get checked for cancer every 2 years, but above the chest isn't ever checked. There are lyph nodes behind my ear that I got biopsied when I was 12 or 13 because they were enlarged, but they said they were just a reaction from a tick bite I had gotten a month before. Those Lyph nodes are still there and the same size as they were then. Recently I have been extremely tired, and get really light headed everytime I stand up. I also wake up sweating alot even with barely any clothes on. This lump is well below the skin probably about half an inch. You have to really press down on the skin to feel it. I don't want to be making a big deal out of it if it's nothing, but I use to be this really healthy never sick person. But I get sick all the time now with sinus infections and I get migraines, and also a month ago I had a severly enlarged lyph node on my neck that's diameter was that of a quarter. When I got that checked out they said they werent sure what it was because I showed no symptoms of an ear infection or an infection in my throat, so they gave me medication for a skin infection. The swollen lyph node slowly went down, but it is still there just probably 1/6 the size it was. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nik4247
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2009
Supporter
Honey
Place fear aside and get checked out..With family history it's always best..I have alot of cancel and Liver disease in my family and whenever I notice a symptom I call my doctor she knows my fear and tells me to come on in..

Safe than sorry hon..It could be a cyst..
My husband has a knot at bast of skull and sometimes he gets a headache but the surgeon said it's just a cyst and not worry about it unless it gets to much and then will remove it..

Regardless have your doc check you out for peace of mind..
|

replied May 28th, 2009
I have a similar thing...sometimes lymph nodes can swell when you get sick or are fighting an infection, so it could be normal...but better safe than sorry
|

replied May 31st, 2009
the only thing is is that I have had this lump for 2 or so years, so its not from being sick or anything.
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2009
large lump in front of ear on jaw line
My daughter is 6 and came to me yesterday with a quarter size lump that satrts in front of her ear on her jaw line and somewhat behind her ear. its new somewhat soft and very painful. That is how she noticed it was having pain. She did just recently have strept throat and swollen glands in her neck, but after taking antibiotics that all seem to go away. Im worried this could be something severe, but i dont want to be an mom that overeacts any suggestions?
|

replied June 30th, 2009
Well Every doctor I have gone to have told me that its nothing to worry about, yet they dont give me an answer to why it spontaneously gives me neck and ear pain. They just say its a swollen lymyh node but cant say why or when it will go down. No antibiotic or anti-inflammatory has worked, nor has muscle relaxers, so I just got an MRI done yesterday. I dont know my results yet, but really if it continues and pain persists,then make her see the doctor. Make sure they know what they are feeling as well, because a few doctors wouldnt even touch the right spot I would have to direct them. Also make sure that if they prescribe something and it still is there and pain persists they dont tell you it's nothing to worry about, because you shouldnt have consistant pain without any answer as to why. That does cause for concern.
|

replied July 7th, 2009
I had lung cancer and had a lobectomy in 2004. I have noticed for the last 2 years I have a lump under earlobe as large as a quarter. It is a not noticeable you have to feel for it.
|

replied January 14th, 2012
I have a lump in the same spot about the size of a quarter its hard as a rock and Ive had it for 4 years.I want to go to a doctor but i dont have insurance. i also have a tatto is the same spot as the lump but the pain from the lump goes all the way into my brain
|

replied February 14th, 2012
I too have a lump in my neck. It has been there for years. If I presson it, it makes my ear sore. I have never had this checkedby a doctor because I don't have insurance. This weekend I caught an illness from my kids. Typical fever with aches & chills. The problem is that this illness has agrivated the lump and ear. Now I'm very worried.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
Lumps in necks should always be checked. They are mostly benign lymph nodes, and sometimes if they swell in an infection they will never go back down completely - this doesn't mean it is necessarily something bad, just that the lymph node changed when you had an infection.
As far as nodes in children: there are a number of anatomical variations that can cause lumps and can easily be corrected if required.
Lymphoma is always the big concern: if you have weight loss, recurrent infections, night sweats and are fatigued you should definitely see your doctor. If you have lymphoma it will be pretty clear from a simple blood test that something is not right, so if your doctor has done that and it is normal, then provided you don't develop new symptoms or more lumps you shouldn't panic.
Unfortunately, sometimes people do have consistent pain, and doing all the tests under the sun wont change it. You certainly don't want to go having biopsies of lumps unless it is medically indicated. Neck and ear pain is often related to posture so a physiotherapist may be worth a try.
Try to trust your doctor - and if you don't, find a new doctor who you do trust. It is always good to write down your questions, and if you are not happy with their answer or you are worried it is serious, tell your doctor so that they can do a better job of explaining to you why they are not worried.
To the man with the previous lung cancer: anyone with a lump who has a history of cancer should always see the doctor urgently as you are at a higher risk - I would certainly recommend following this up ASAP.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
ps - if the lump has been there for a long time and you have no other symptoms, it is likely that it is benign, especially if it flairs up with infections.
|

replied December 22nd, 2013
Lump below the ear jaw ares
I was super sick for two years, I went from dcotor to doctor maybe 60 doctors . I had every single test known to man ...., Then I discovered a lump under my ear that begin to form there . The began when I began to use the sauna. Well we all know how heat brings infection to the surface. Withing three days a hidden tooth infection was discouvered and this big lump appeared in my jaw! WOW I know wonder if the extracted root canal infection is still in there. Here is what my dentist thought it was a charley horse! The MD checked the lump and said sense it moves I needed to go to physical therapy and have them work it out ! . The oral surgeon said if it got larger that it would be biopsied, and he told me he thought it was infected salvary gland . I did begin to used a mouth guard recently so maybe he was right. So take your pick of answer it is just which doctor you see . I believe it is an infection in my jaw and I'm going to my ND for ozone injection directly into the site if it kills the infection and the lump disappears okay we know what it was and problem is solved. Strangely enought when MD have no answers or take no action then I basically become my own doctor I do the research come up with a causes look at solution present my case to my super expensive doctor who is most wonderful and accomodating guy,. He orders the test and we look at the results together he tell his thought I tell him mine. Then I pick two doctor to help me cure the problem, plus I apply my methods based on my research. . I was also told to used castor oil that come in glass bottle and wool pad on the site of the lump with a heating pad and I have been doing that it helps draw out the poisons in super big way,.. This is me all signs of the that body is giving us are to be seens as the body is telling you something. I'm reading of cases where people ignore little on going digestion issue etc...and it ends up being something much more serious later. So get checked out
|