Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

lump on neck lymph node ?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I am 18 and going to be going to med school...not that, that matters, but I had a quick question...
On June 1st I Noticed A small lump on my neck...a hard lump felt almost kind of like a bean attached to something on my neck... So I reasearched it and most said it was lymph nodes...Which I believe to be correct since I had a cold when it appeared and previously have had lymph nodes swell behind my ears...It appears to be slightly above my collar bone but it is still there...Now Its been a 2 weeks and I was wondering is it common to stay this long and how will it change in feeling if it is a lymph node (i.e what does a lymph node feel like compared to a cancerous lump) It feels as though it has either decreased in size or is sinking down towards the collar bone, but is their any kind of medication i need? I was going to wait 3-4 weeks and if I noticed no change go to the doctor and request a biopsy since thats what other people who had the same thing mentioned...Do I need Any Medication, Should I see A Doctor Sooner? Just curious...
Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
What's the size of the lymph node?
Did you experience other symptoms along with sore throat?
Is the swelling of the lymph nodes behind ear gone?
Were you feeling discomfort or pain on touch?

After a lymph node becomes enlarged and an infection has subsided it may not return to it's pre-infectious state (nodes may not return to normal size for several weeks after the infection has cleared)
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: Maddogz 

replied June 16th, 2008
Lymph Node is small and oval shapped maybe the size of a pea, very small though and feels as though it is connected to my throat or collar bone...

Symptoms were that of a common cold...sneezing, coughing runny nose, little bit of a head ache...no real sore throat...

Swelling behind ear is gone...this was a year ago or so when I had the flu,

No Pain to the touch...

All symptoms of the infection are gone so i feel it could just be a week or so of waiting...
thanks for your help
|

User Profile
replied June 17th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Typically, when there are symptoms of an upper respiratory infection (runny nose, sore throat, fever), slightly tender nodes under the skin around the ears, under the chin, or on the upper part of the neck are felt.
In most of the cases, swelling of the lymph nodes diminishes in a period of two weeks.

Is this node hard and fixed to the skin?
Do you find this node closer to the collar bone or located in the upper part of neck?
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: Maddogz 

replied June 18th, 2008
Node is not hard and fixed to the skin its pretty lose and I am able to move it around a little bit, not much but some, feels as though it could be attached to something on the neck...do lymph nodes flow freely through the body?

The Node is closer to the collar bone probably less than an inch above it on the left side of my neck...
Thanks
|

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You are welcome!

Cervical lymph nodes are located along the lymphatic vessels in the neck.
|

replied June 11th, 2013
Hard Nodule on Left lymph node..
I have a hard nodule on my left lymph node. It is painful with touch. Any advice on what could be going on?
|