Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Lump on my upper back near my spine?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
I have a lump located on my upper back near my spine. It has no color and there is no pain, is this something I should be concerned about? Should I see a doctor?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 2nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
jcameron,

It is most likely a lipoma. These are benign tumors made up of normal fat cells, just a large collection of them. They have no color or skin changes with them. They feel soft, or like other areas of subQ fat.

They are usually left alone. If they are in an area that cause functional problems or the cosmetic appearance is not desirable, then they can be resected. But, you essentially trade a lump for a scar.

If, however, the lump grows in size very rapidly or becomes painful, then it should be evaluated.
|
Did you find this post helpful?