Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

lump on my butt crack the size of a golf ball?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile

Yesterday morning I had a rather tiring soccer game, which left me with alot of muscle pain and soreness, but nothing out of the ordinary, and I had some pain in my butt when I sat, which I thought it was related to bruising that I had suffered during the game. I tried to sleep over it and I recovered from most of my muscle pain however the pain on my butt was worst, I could barely sit down. After checking out that area I found that I had a lump on my butt crack, almost the size of a golf ball, it kinda looks like haemorrhoids (but can those even happen outside the anus?)

I never noticed it before but I find it strange that this can appear from one day to another, so I guess I had it for before and the game only made it worst. I also noticed that there's 2 white spots on the lump that almost look like acne pimple so maybe they are and having them on top of the lump is what's now causing the pain?

Could someone tell me what this can be and how can I treat it?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2011
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A25762

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the painful lump on the buttocks. It seems like folliculitis or a boil. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus.

Apply warm compresses on the bump and keep the area clean. You should consult a doctor as you might need a course of antibiotics(topical and oral)/anti-inflammatories to take care of the same. Some cases may need incision and drainage.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.