Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

lump on hamsters neck/chest

I have a long haired hamster I am not sure of her age but I do not think she is more than a year old... anyway last night I cleaned her cage and she was fine but tonight when I took her out to play with her I noticed that a massive lump, about the size of the top of my thumb so just under an inch, has formed on her neck and chest just between her front legs.
The lump does not feel like it could have puss in it, it feels far more solid but not like bone...it kind of feels like a bouncy ball. She continues to act very normal and it does not seem to cause her any pain when she is picked up. I have done some research on this but no one came up with a definate answer. If anyone knows what this could be and if it is a serious condition if you could please leave a response we would greatly appreciate it. no "she's going to die" tho please.
Thank you
Maigen
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Maigen
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2010
Supporter
The best thing you can do is make your hanster as comfortable as possible before she goes.
i have a gerbil and i love him to pieces, so i know how you feel.
what's the update on your hamster?
|

replied January 10th, 2010
She ended up dieing after a couple months, but that was probably a good thing cause it was rubbing on everything so it must have really hurt. It almost went away for a little bit but then it was back. Thank you Smile
Maigen
|

replied January 18th, 2010
Experienced User
Sorry for your loss. Hampsters are known to get cancer easy. I am glad she is not in pain anymore. I had a mouse (school gave it to my son) that developed cancer. He went one day when I was still worring over what to do. I gave him a happy life with food and water and clean bedding. How great for a rodent. Correct? They know when we take care of them well.
Bless
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2010
Supporter
they live to be 3-4 years and you can buy another one.
|

Experienced User
It is still going to have a different personality. This is an old post I am answering. I know I saved the life of a hampster a long time ago for a girl. She is all grown now but still that was her baby. She is very grateful that I saved it. Yes it is long gone but, not forgotten.
bamm
|

User Profile
Supporter
I know another hamster will have a different personality. i had hamsters every since i was 14 and i am 33. I currently have a gerbil. I know they dont last a long time, so i usually would buy another one because i love having them around.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
The vet said it didnt look or sound like cancer, it appeared so quickly and he had never seen anything like it. Its Okay tho, we got another hamster to replace it shortly after. All we can do with hamsters or other rodent like creatures is keep them happy and comfy Smile thats what we did with my hamster and its really to bad it ended like that.
|

replied April 7th, 2010
My mice had an abnormal bump growing under their neck.
i had two mice that had the very same symptom, of an abnormal bump on the neck, My first mouse was a year and a half and when i first noticed that bump she had past away about 2 months later. My second mouse, i had for bout half a year, and when she grew that bump, she as well passed away no less than a month later. Im sad to say that something may come upon your Hamster, but for a heads up, dont be to hurten by the experience. Unlike many, I too do not know what that so called bump is caused from and how you can prevent it.
|

replied January 20th, 2011
Experienced User
Hamsters tend to live around 2-3 years so your little one could be a bit older then you might think.

One thing that is common with older hamsters is tumors. They aren't anything serious unless they are blocking the windpipe or something like that. They are just lumps that happen to just be there and many live comfortably with them.
|

replied August 17th, 2012
I have a hamster his probably 8 months old and he got the same symtoms from today morning. i am so worried ,i did took him to the vet bt cudnt meet him ,he was out and had a talk with him on phone he gave some medicines.. now i m taking him to the vet again.. i hope he wont die.. i m so attached to him. Sad
Nena
|

replied October 20th, 2012
Nena how is your hamster doing? is he still alive?? im so scared like you because my hamster has the same symptoms and hes about 2 years old. i love him to death! hes my bestest friend in the whole world,when people bully me i feel happy when i see or hold him. last night i was taking him out of his cage and he was really hyper but he had a large lump under his neck. i dont want him to die Sad ik all u people that commented say "oh thats ok i will replace him" i could never do that even if im 82 and im 13 right now. Please help! should i take him to a doctor!? im worried about my litttle spongebob!! :"(
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2012
Experienced User
Maigen wrote:
She ended up dieing after a couple months, but that was probably a good thing cause it was rubbing on everything so it must have really hurt. It almost went away for a little bit but then it was back. Thank you Smile
Maigen

Very sad...
|

replied August 14th, 2014
I'm very very sorry for your lose , my fancy hamster spirt has a huge bump on his neck too and I'm very concerned cause i love that little fur ball to pecies and i don't know what i would do without him:'(
|

replied August 14th, 2014
Spirit ****
|