Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

Lump on Calf

I am a 15 year old girl, and have experianced a painful lump on my lower leg (calf). I have been to the doctor and had an x-ray- inconclusive, i then had an unltrascan- doctor was unable to identify what it was. I have just had an MRI scan and am terrified of the results.We got a disk with the mri scan results on and they have scared me. It is painful all the time, increasingly at night and when i do exercise. Please help me, i am really worried it may be Ewings sarcoma.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
mumbojumbo,

The appearance of Ewing's on x-ray is very distinctive. Often called and onion skin, It is true that in the very early stages the x-rays might be negative. An ultrasound would pick up any soft tissue mass of significant size and heterogeneity. However, MRI is very sensitive and will pick up a tumor even at a very early stage.

You state:
"I have just had an MRI scan and am terrified of the results.We got a disk with the mri scan results on and they have scared me." What exactly was the reading of the MRI, that it scared you?

If the radiologist picked up anything, he/she would report it. As radiologists will often over read a study, just to be sure that they don't miss anything.

That is why it is very important to go over the study with the surgeon who ordered it. As the results of a study have to be correlated with the patient's history and exam, to determine if any findings are of clinical significance.

Hope you find out what is going on. Good luck.
|

replied May 18th, 2011
thanks, you have completely calmed me down. I was probably just overreacting and freaking out. Tomorrow i hope to get the results and now feel completely relaxed. So thanks, Gaelic
|