Medical Questions > Cancer > Breast Cancer Forum

Lump of flesh under armpit

Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
User Profile
I have had a lump of flesh under my right armpit for years now. If i put my arm down,it just hangs there. It could be described as an extra skin under the arm pit. A week before my period, it increases in size and hurts a bit. It also gets more tender before my period. I am wondering if it's anything serious? like breast cancer? would appreciate any help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2010
Breast Cancer Answer A11925
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the probable lymph node in the right axillary region and increase in size and tenderness before the menstrual period.
Lymph nodes can sometimes appear swollen or become noticeable just before the menses because of fluid retention but such symptoms are otherwise unrelated to the menses. Under the arms, there may be the same lymph tissue or there can be breast tissue fairly high going into the armpit (axilla). There is no way to diagnose this specifically other than by biopsy. However, that is not usually done unless the process is very local and not general.
You might consult your doctor to look for causes of the lymph node swelling that may be due to infection or inflammation.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breast Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.