Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Lump in throat with ear pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
Hi Everyone, Hope one of you can help me: I have been having severe throat pain since 3 weeks, my doctor started me on a mild medication, after a week with no releif, I was put on Antibiotics and with severe throat pain [like a lump in throat - in the second chin] and cough and ear pain I was also given Steroids. last week my doctor increased the MG on the anibiotics and asked me to continue it for a week. the week ended, during the medication I felt ok. as soon as the medication stopped the lump is back with Ear pain. [the pain is diagonal from the Ear to the Throat]. I do not have any classic cold symptoms or fever, but lost my appetite.

I have asked for blood tests and other tests to identify this, but my doctor has said its not required. I am concenrned that even though I was on Anti biotics and even Steroids I feel the same as I was 2 weeks ago.

Can this be 'Pharangytis, Laryngitis, Epiglotis' [Terms I read on the Internet] or something else.

If anyone knows what can be please post you answer here.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 13th, 2009
Hi
Ive been experiencing almost the exact same thing.
My doctor wont prescribe me more steroids and I am in severe pain.
Is there any way you could tell me what helped you?
Thank you so much.
|

replied August 11th, 2009
I have had a similar problem and can't find an answer. I have severe pain in my throat when I breathe (not when I swallow) and it hurts more when I lie down or bend over. My ears and neck hurt and eventually my teeth even hurt and throb. It usually lasts 2-3 weeks and comes back every 8-12 months. It is extremely painful. I have had every test and have been on Steroids, anti virals and need Percocet for the pain. Please let me know if you find out anything!!!
|