Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Lump in throat and chest tightness

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I feel like I have a lump in my throat/neck and right chest tightness which usually appears or worsens after eating food. It feels like someone is pushing on the spot/indention where my neck meets my chest. I often feel winded and have a hard time talking or reading to my kids. It's always better in the morning and worsens throughout the day. It comes and goes throughout the day, and some days are better than others. I also have an undiagnosed condition which I am treating with Prednisone, but I'm not sure if all of this is related or not. My undiagnosed condition involves the above symptoms plus severe edema (esp. in face/eyelids and lower extremeties), itching/rashing on legs, hair shedding, bulging eyes. I've had lots of labs, scans, & a bone marrow biopsy. I have/have had low complement (C3, C4, CH50), low IgA, high eosinophils, low B12, and low iron stores (shown in BM biopsy). Any help you can offer would be wonderful. I do wonder if the throat/chest tightness could be anxiety?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2009
Anxiety and Stress Answer A7482
Hi
Welcome to the forum!
The symptom you are facing of tightness of chest and throat and a lump in throat can be due to GERD or gastric reflux. This could be due to the effect of prednisone or due to your food habits or some drugs you took which increase the acidity.
The other possibility is that this unknown condition is also causing edema in throat. It could be allergy related too.
Malabsorption syndromes as seen in intestinal tuberculosis, HIV, tropical sprue, parasites in stool and Whipple’s Disease should be ruled out as a cause of low readings (low complement (C3, C4, CH50), low IgA, low B12, and low iron stores (shown in BM biopsy). Pernicious anemia, SLE or lupus (quite possible with rash and hair fall, high eosinophils), and other autoimmune disorders should be studied.
However without examining it is difficult to give a confirmed diagnosis and treatment on net. Hence consult your doctor and discuss these points. Hope this helps. Take care!

Specializing in facial injuries and pain, corrective jaw surgery, wisdom tooth removal, dental implants, bone grafting, and TMJ
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.