Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

lump has appearedin the scar, its quite painful?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
Hi, i woke up this morning and noticed i had a weird looking lump on my stomach that wasnt there yesterday. I had my appendix removed years ago and the lump has appeared right in the middle of the old scar, its quite painful. The lump is red around the edges and brown in the middle and it sticks out quite a lot. I've never had anything like this before and i am just wondering should i be concerned?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2011
Skin Answer A27969
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

This lump can be a boil, cyst or a hypertrophic scar or keloid. In hypertrophic scar, the scar is red and thickened, but confined to the margin of the wound. Keloids are raised and look shiny and dome-shaped and can be pink or red.

Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle by staph aureus. Apply warm compresses and topical antibiotics on the boil and keep the area clean. Also take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.