Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

Lump found in armpit

Yesterday I discovered a lump in my armpit. It's not attached to anything and is pretty round, about a centimeter in diameter. For many months i've noticed some irritation there, beginning after I shaved my armpits once. I just thought it was some reaction from that, but now finding that lump there, im concerned. Im not sure if it's a swollen lymph node, or a cyst, or something else entirely. I've scheduled a doctors appointment, but hope to find some kind of understanding prior. I've read that swollen lymph nodes can be an early sign of hiv infection, and last year there were two instances that would put me at risk with partners of unknown status. I plan to get tested soon, but in the meantime I'm hoping to understand this better as well. I only have the one lump, and hiv is usually indicated by more then one? Also, my hand on the arm with the lump, that hand frequently gets impetigo ever since I was a child. Im not sure what kind of impetigo, though judging from descriptions and photos on the web, my best guess is bollus impetigo. Could this lead to a swollen lymph node there?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AnCara
|

User Profile
replied May 13th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Is this lump painful?
Did the swelling appear suddenly?
What kind of irritation you had there (skin irritation)?

Cysts and superficial infections in the skin of the armpit may follow shaving or use of antiperspirants, occurring most frequently in adolescents just beginning to shave.
Swelling is probably due to your skin infectious lesions, because this occurs even if the infection is trivial or not apparent (even a scratch on your arm can cause swollen lymph node)

Do you get blister-like lesions on your hand?
|

replied May 13th, 2008
Re:
The lump is a little painful when I squeeze it. I'm not sure how long the swelling has been there, in the past when I first noticed an irritation, I never thought to check for lumps, so never felt the area.

And yes, I do get blister like lesions on my hand periodically since I was a teenager.
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Minor skin infections and irritations can cause lymph nodes to double in size quickly over 2 or 3 days (bacterial infection as impetigo usually will cause the lymph node to swell to the size larger then 1 inch or 2.5 cm across).
They return slowly to normal size over the next 2 to 4 weeks. However, they won't disappear completely.
Try to avoid poking and squeezing lymph nodes, cause this may keep them from shrinking back to normal size.

Is this lymph node painful to touch (not only squeezing), too?
Do the lesions burst and scab over with a yellow-colored crust?
Have you been treated with antibiotic for this skin lesions?
How often you get them?
|

replied May 14th, 2008
It's not painful to touch, just when you squeeze it.

As for the lesions, they're more blister like, and sometimes they burst, but more often then not they just turn a golden orange color and slowly disapear. I haven't been treated with an antibiotic for it, though I will certainly bring it up at my doctors appointment. I get them pretty frequently, having one or two as often as I don't have any.
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You should see your doctor for the impetigo treatment as soon as possible.
This is a contagious skin disease, that need prompt medical attention, cause can affect your deeper skin and your blood if left untreated.
Also, by scratching the lesions and touching other parts of your body, you can spread it to different parts of your skin (mouth, nose, forearm).
You can infect anyone who comes into contact with your infected skin or other items, such as clothing, towels, and bed linens, that have been touched by infected skin.

Do the fluid-containing blisters appear clear, not cloudy?
|

replied May 15th, 2008
They appear clear.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Blisters that are more likely to stay intact longer on the skin without bursting, contained with fluid that appear clear, then cloudy are caused by bacteria staphylococcus aureus.
Do you usually get skin injured at your hands?
Are you prone to eczema?
Do you play some close contact sports?
|

replied December 13th, 2009
i just noticed a bump under my left armpit in the shower today. it hurts if i squeeze it and its about a centimeter in diameter. its not red, but is under the skin. it also hurts a little if i stretch my arm up all the way. i dont know what it is. but im pretty sure i dont have any blisters on my hands or anything like that. ive read that it could be early signs of hiv infections, i cyst, or just a swollen lymph node. how do i treat it?
|

replied May 30th, 2010
hi everyone

io have found a lump under my armpit when i was getting dreese this and i am worrying if it is cancer or something else .it does not hurt tis sitting under the skin and is strating to show though my clothes what can i do and can the lump i have be some sort of cancer .please help
|

replied April 11th, 2011
i found a little bump in my armpit but it doesn't hurt when i touch it. somtimes my armpits get kind of itchy. iam not sure if this a problem or not.
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Mine hurts when it is touched and sqeezed and I don't know if it is cancerous or not. It hurts to do big movements with my arm, is that a bad thing, could I have cancer?
|

replied July 8th, 2011
Mine hurts when it is touched and sqeezed and I don't know if it is cancerous or not. It hurts to do big movements with my arm, is that a bad thing, could I have cancer?
|

replied July 28th, 2011
anyone with a lump in the armpit that does not go away should be checked i noticed one in december went to doc they did biopsy and found that i had inflammatory breast cancer stage 4 that had spread to lymph node and bones please dont assume get checked might be nothing but better safe than sorry hope all turns out well for everyone
|

replied September 8th, 2011
Lump under armpit
About 5 days ago, I found a lump in my right armpit. There is little pain if I touch it or reach up high. Could this be cancer??? I have been shaving my armpits since I was about 18; I did change my brand of deordorant a couple of weeks ago.
|

replied February 27th, 2012
lump in my armpit under the skin
i found a lump under my armpit and ive had it for a few years its just only yesterday i noticed it was bigger it used to be tiny and now its the size of a pea i tryed to squeeze it and a little bit of blood and water came out and then a few little bits of white bits came out what can this be? im really worried
|

replied March 12th, 2012
I found a lump in my armpit a week ago and now I have two more!
Hi everyoe,
I found a big lump in my left under armpit and a week later i found two more in my right armpit and the left armpit lump got bigger and thet all hurt to barely even touch and i can move them around, i haven't shaved my armpits ever since i found the first lump and I am making an appointment here soon.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2012
Armpit lump and itchy skin and cough without flu
I am a 22 year old female. I recently discovered a lump under my armpit, under the skin. It is not a skin infection as it is not red. It is however tender. For about 2 months now my skin feels like it is being stung by jellyfish, especially on my back and neck. It only last for 3-5 seconds though. I have had a night cough for about 2 months as well. Can these things be linked? I reside in Thailand and cannot at the moment afford to go for a biopsy. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you
|