Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Lump behind right ear

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
User Profile
I developed a lumb behind my right ear, its not very painful but has a bit of pain when touched. I also have another lumb on the left back of my head, its a little bigger than the right one and a little more painful when touch.
I am not feeling unwell although I am on High Blood pressure medication, Bisopolol and Amlodipine 5mg and 10mg a day. I also take a contraceptive tablet called cerezzett. Please help

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
Brain and Head Injuries Answer A9812
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem to be concerned by the painful lumps behind the right ear and on the back of head towards the left side. You are also taking antihypertensive medications.
You have not mentioned the duration for which the lumps have been present but have given a history of low white cell count around 1.5 months back around Christmas. Low white cell count can be normal in some healthy individuals though more commonly it is seen in some viral infections like EBV, HIV and also in Malaria and Tuberculosis. It is also a feature of vitamin deficiencies like megaloblastic anemia due to vitamin B12 and/or folate deficiency and diseases of the bone marrow such as leukemias, myelodysplastic syndrome, aplastic anemia, myelofibrosis etc.
Low white cell count predisposes to bacterial infections e.g. of the skin by Staph. aureus and these lumps may be just reactive lymph node enlargements due to increased susceptibility to infections and may respond to a course of antibiotics. If there is no response to antibiotics, fine needle aspiration cytology can be suggested by your doctor to ascertain the diagnosis.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain and Head Injuries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.