Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

6 lumbar vertibrae

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Apparently i have 6 lumbar vertibrae and the average person has 5. Will having 6 affect me? cause pain or maybe less able to use my back than the average person.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Vertibrae
Do women have more vertibrae than men? We have a discussion going at the office we need help aswnering.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy (online)
The vast majority of men, and women have five lumbar vertebra, occasionally a person may have six due to a congenital deformity. This does not necessarily mean that you will develop back problems, however there is evidence that people with six vertebra suffer from increased rates of some disorders like scoliosis, i suggest if you have an extra vertebra take good care of yourself and get some sensible exercise.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Extra Lumbar Vertibrae
I found out that I had an extra lumbar vertibrae when I was 9 along with a little scolyosis. I started my physical theapy but stopped due to the pain. I recently started a class where I'm sitting 4 hours straight. It started to hurt pretty bad so I decided to go ahead and fix this now that I have a higher pain tollerence. I'm 19 years old. I went to my chiropracter and found out my last four are compressing and my last 2 are about a jump or a jog away from compressing. I am currently laying down at 4:19 pm because of the pain. Take care of your back! Get x-rays a least every couple years to make sure your back isn't compressing. There just isn't enough room for my veribrae. Good luck!
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
hi jcburnet
what are you going to do to fix the trouble? are the discs bulging from the pressure?
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Just physical therapy with the chiropracter. Not too much we can do at this point. You have to catch it early and do something about it.
|

replied July 26th, 2010
Extremely eHealthy
has your chiropractor given you exercises to strengthen spine?
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2010
Experienced User
I also have a 6th lumbar & was told that it's rare to have an extra one & it will cause all kinds of problems
|

replied August 1st, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy (online)
its fairly unusal but they do not always cause problems somtimes they are perfectly shaped and function fine other times they are an irregular shape and as you said they can cause all sorts of problems
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2010
Experienced User
least I know I'm "odd" lol
|

replied June 19th, 2013
I have had spinal issues for several years now. First i was told i had spondlylolesthesis-severe etc. then later feel several times got hit by several cars and recevied new xrays to find that i had several degenerative discs,spinal stenosis-e impingement-spondylolesthesis -severe-and other stuff i cant pronounce. Recentrly a ortho said : you have a 6th vertabrae did you know that? I said no........he said yeah its looking for somewhere to go ...Basically it is not in alignement with the rest of my spine.......he said its the main reason for all my spinal issues-its like my spine is falling apart. I have alot of pain-and limited mobility.....I simply want to be normal.and be able to function like everyone else. these doctors are helping me. I live a very limited and restricted life to avoid pain-and avoid further damage.
|