Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

lumbar radiofrequency ablation side effects (Page 1)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Doctor I have had both Left and right L3,L4,L5,S1 done with radiofrequency ablation one in Aug 09 the other Jan 10. The left was done first and now since the right one was done I am having sever burning pain around L4 & L5 that cause my leg to just give and i go down. the pain is becoming overwhelming. I am wondering if the nerves are growing back or am I haveing a different problem. Any thought would be greatly apprieciated
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mamaborg
|

replied January 20th, 2010
Experienced User
I am not the doctor. for that you need to pose the question to their mailbox.
However, I had some burning done in my back & developed a weakness in my leg afterward.
I strongly suggest you contact your doctor about this asap. I got over mine but, it did take some time. It is very frustrating so I can ubderstand how you are feeling.
Your doctor will be able to aid you best in what you should do.
Best Wishes,
bamm
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 9th, 2010
I recently had a raf ,,lumbar,,,now I am 100% worse,,my back discomfort,pain and weakness is worse,,and I also have this constant horrible sensation that is difficult to describe,,it feels like a combination of an irratation,soarness,burning,it's so sensative that any slight movement or touch is enough to make me uncomfortable,,,these feelings are located on my upper butt area...can anyone shed any light on this....my dr says it's very rare and can last for about 3 mos. and the upsetting thing is that there's no gaurantee it won't be permanent...
|

replied May 26th, 2011
RAF procedure for chronic low back pain
i am 3 weeks out from the procedure....back hurts all the time. Actually not sure if it's my back, because I have all these other issues, like you noted above, that I never had before. Soreness, burning, itching. Not sure if you are still checking this site, but really curious if you are still experiencing same issues. I'm thinking about trying the Cymbalta therapy for low back pain....I can't live like this.
|

replied September 16th, 2011
Radiofreqency Nerve Ablation
I had it done last week and I am still in pain and my back burns and I can let anything touch I can even let the shower touch it. I cryed for the 4 days
|

replied September 25th, 2011
I've had 2 of the RFA's done on my back. The first one did nothing to releive the pain. The 2nd one, in the S1, left side, extremely painful afterwards. Suggest people with fibromyalgia have plenty of pain killers and take time away from work to recoup. 3 weeks post op and I'm left with severe burning, itching and numbness. Follow up with Dr indicates that "some" patients will experience a "burn" like sensation because a nerve that wasn't suppose to be involved may have been slightly touched and now it's trying to regenerate itself. The pain is deep into the buttox area and itches like a sun of a gun (very embarrasing). There is nothing that can be done but wait about 8-12 weeks. He said in most cases it will go away but after 12 weeks, if I still have it, it may be permanent. The burn sensation may or may not happen. I didn't experience it with my first RFA. It sounded like it was a luck of the draw from how he explained it. I won't know the true results of this last burn for awhile. I do think that I've had a little relief but between healing from the "burn" and my other side hurting as well...it may be months before I know if this procedure will have worked.
|

replied October 17th, 2011
i have degenerative dise and just lsst week was toold i havefibromyglia iam 53 i have in my neck and back l 5 and feet icant stand it anymore hurt all day long was going to do lra but having heard any thing good about it i thing about laser surger it will cost alot of money but i had this for 4 months can work so going to lose my job and health insurance i have be to every doctor and more dose anyone have a answer
|

replied February 24th, 2012
go to german and get ardiffical disc pet in utube it to learn about it
|

replied October 17th, 2011
i have degenerative dise and just lsst week was toold i havefibromyglia iam 53 i have in my neck and back l 5 and feet icant stand it anymore hurt all day long was going to do lra but having heard any thing good about it i thing about laser surger it will cost alot of money but i had this for 4 months can work so going to lose my job and health insurance i have be to every doctor and more dose anyone have a answer
|

replied July 13th, 2012
I have followed a therapy and after 20 years of suffering with fibromyalgia which caused me to contemplate suicide,I am pain free for 18 months If you are interested contact me
|

replied September 24th, 2013
How are you pain free? Please share this information with us. I was in an auto accident about 14 months ago. I have had therapy and then injections, therapy again and now radiofrequency ablation (rfa)to L4 and L5 with no relief. Sept 12th the Dr completed rfa to the left side for L1, L2 and L3. I also am feeling the burning, itching and pain the others above are writing about. I will have to go back on Sept 30th to have the right side completed. The week after the procedure all I felt was the normal pain as I did with L4 and L5 but 1 week out things changed. I was at work and I could feel the pain start to intensify. By the end of the day my shirt on my back was causing me to be in pain. At my work place I have to change my whole routine up if I take pain meds so I waited until I got home. By that time the pain meds didn't even touch it. I took the second dose a little early but I could not get ahead of the pain. By Friday morning it was worse. I wore the loosest shirt and pants I have and went into work. I completed my day but I started on the pain meds again when I walked into my house. All weekend the pain was overwhelming. I was absent from work on Monday and returned today still to the extreme sensitivity as before but not as bad as the previous days. Please if you know something to stop the pain that I'm feeling please share it. I'm tired and feeling this pain on a constant level is horrible. I just turned 47 and I'm a single mom and I have to work. I was very scared to have this procedure completed in the first place and right now I'm praying this isn't something that is going to continue like it is right now. I called my Dr's office on Friday but they did not call me back with any information. I called again yesterday and explained my situation asking for some type of answers but still did not get a return call. I was thinking that maybe I had setup some type of infection and needed steroids or something but I still don't know. I was working when the accident happened in a work vehicle so Worker's Comp is handling it. I don't have a lot of choices, basically they tell me what and when and also how high they would like for me to attempt to jump. I'M SCARED! I have pinched nerves in my lower back and my neck. My knees hit the dashboard so I'm basically hurting all over. And it's been a slow process getting little results. Please if you know something, help me.

Angel
|

replied October 25th, 2013
I just read your post I had RFA just yesterday last time was a year ago. After 2 back surgeries , nerve blocks, pain meds I can honestly tell you RFA is the best thing to come along...no more drugs injected into my body. I would really like to know what state your from and talk to you more about it. I believe its all about the Dr that is treating you and their experience in my opinion.
|

replied December 5th, 2012
Radiofrequency Ablation on my lower back - the pain is unreal!
I just had my Radiofrequency done yesterday and I hurt so very much. I can't sit, lay, stand or even move. I am hoping it is just because it was just done yesterday. I am currently taking Cymbalta and I find it works. I just got upped to 60mg but you may be started on the 30mg. My neighbor told me about it and I completely believe in it. Now I am just worried about my back feeling better after the procedure. I feel the burning but my right side is the worst. I am having a real hard time sleeping cuz it feels like needles are constantly pooking me along with the burning all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions for me please? I have been living on my icepacks but they only seem to work while I am pressed up against them the I'm right back to square one again. Im despreat, tired and really frustrated so I need some suggestions soon or I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin and I don't really want to do that! I never thought anything was going to be as painful as the surgery for one and escepcially the discogram I had years ago. Please help someone!
|

Most doctors usually call their patients withing 24-48 hours to check up on them. If you can't wait that long, I suggest you call your doctor or go to the emergency room.
|

Radiofrequency Ablation on my lower back - the pain is unreal!
I just had my Radiofrequency done yesterday and I hurt so very much. I can't sit, lay, stand or even move. I am hoping it is just because it was just done yesterday. I am currently taking Cymbalta and I find it works. I just got upped to 60mg but you may be started on the 30mg. My neighbor told me about it and I completely believe in it. Now I am just worried about my back feeling better after the procedure. I feel the burning but my right side is the worst. I am having a real hard time sleeping cuz it feels like needles are constantly pooking me along with the burning all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions for me please? I have been living on my icepacks but they only seem to work while I am pressed up against them the I'm right back to square one again. Im despreat, tired and really frustrated so I need some suggestions soon or I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin and I don't really want to do that! I never thought anything was going to be as painful as the surgery for one and escepcially the discogram I had years ago. Please help someone!
|

replied December 20th, 2012
Ask your Doctor about Gralise (timed release Gabapentin) works very much like Lyrica.
|

replied August 10th, 2010
Holy cow! I'll be checking your posts off and on. I've had a medial branch block on the right and the left is tomorrow. I plan to get the RFA asap but now I'm getting scared. I've had pain for 17 yrs and chiropractic use to take care of but it doesn't work any more. I guess I should do lots more reading up on how it work on felt for others.
|

replied March 1st, 2012
I have had RFA twice on my lower lumbar spine at L4 to S1, each time I was very sore the next week after the procedure and progressively improved as time went on. The pain will always be with you but these procedures can and often do work to reduce your pain. Having said this, I would strongly recommend the doctors you choose to do this procedure has many years experience in doing it. Trust your doctor's judgement because most of them will tell you after the procedure you are so used to that pain that your mind often tells you that you are still in that pain, even though it has been relieved a small bit to a lot. Mind over matter, they say. I do recommend the procedure based on my experience with my great and caring doctor, I just wish everyone could go see him. They are without a doubt the best docs I have found in my 10 years in my horrible back pain battle.
|

replied March 15th, 2012
Radio frequency ablation
I had my RF 7 months ago. I was in a ton of pain for about 3 weeks afterward with shooting pain and burning from lumbar and down right leg. The worst part was weird muscle cramps in both of my feet to where I couldn't stand. Then, it all went away and I felt better than I had in 4 years since my injury. My doctor is super, precise, and careful, and despite a bad 3 weeks, the 7 months without pain was totally worth it. My pain has just begun to return and my doctor believes another RF is what I need. I will go get it as soon as it is approved (hopefully) by WC. Love my doctor and totally trust him.
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
I have an amazing doctor who was referred by my neurosurgeon. "Neuro", is one of the top 5 in the US! Anyway, I had R.F. on the left side of my neck after a 4 level fusion (thanks to a drunk driver) and it was totally successful.That was in Nov. 2011, so I am thrilled.
Then he did the right side of my low back. L/2-C4 (I think it said that in the report) That also was successful.

When he did the left side, the end of June 2012, I had a LOT OF PAIN, and one day I could not wiggle my toes at all and my leg was totally dead! I was hanging onto furniture and my back was so tender, NOTHING could touch it. It is now July 29th,and I do not feel well. I have a weird headache and I just feel drained like I have a "bug". Tired and my leg is going through all kinds of weird events. Today I can walk on it so that is good, but I still hobble a bit.

I am not sure if the headache and these "flu-like", symptoms are connected. Does anyone know if this is related? I am not sure if I should call the office. I do not want to be a "whiner". He really is a fantastic doctor. This was my WORST side, it always has been.
It seems like whenever I TRY and resume any activity at all, even mild swimming at the town pool, I am back to dizzy and my leg starts yelling at me to stop. (I mean that figuratively of course)

What should I do? We were planning on going in to do the S-1 joints next. Need approval again from WC. They are paying for my avinza and oxycodone right now, which I want to DC, once this procedure kicks in.

Back for a nap, I am again dizzy and nauseated.
|

replied September 1st, 2012
If your doctor is anything like mine, you would be advised to call immediately if certain symptoms occur and persist. I would not hesitate. I had the procedure L4 to S1 this past week and had a 24 hour recoup time. I have no complaints. You really need to be going to a doctor that knows his/her stuff to have this done successfully.
|

replied April 13th, 2012
Research doctors not procedure
U need to realize that for every horror story on here there is hundreds of people that Rfa has helped. My husband has had the procedure 6 times since our motorcycle accident 4 years ago and is now able to work as a coal miner where as b4 the treatments this never would've been possible. He has had nothing more than discomfort for a day or so afterwards. I think you need to research reliable and trustworthy doctors not the procedure because his doctor does it successfully several times every single day
|

replied June 14th, 2012
Cervical RFA
DON'T DO IT! I had RFA July 2011 with a doc I've been going to for 14 years and who has successfully done countless and successful others for other people and many successful caudal epidurals and facet blocks on me. This particular just didn't work and I am still in mind boggling agony. It's a whole new injury and I don't know if I will ever be better. Problem is, once you're damaged like this, they have no way to fix it or know what exactly went wrong. Please don't do it! I wouldn't want any one to suffer like I am. Mine is in my neck and I have a spasm and burning and aching in my neck/shoulder/all the way down ulnar nerve up to optic nerve and gets a spasm going all the way down me leg and it is truly debilitating. To the point I want to kill myself. PLEASE, please don't do the RFA!
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
I had the LEFT side of my neck done after a 4 level anterior cervical fusion. I had severe migraines that were driving me INSANE! I too wanted to just die.

The R.F. on the LEFT side only of my neck, was a success. I had it in November 2011. It is now July 29, 2012, and I am doing pretty well. I still feel the hardware as 4 levels is almost unheard of, but the migraines are gone!

Dr. Grahling (CT.) ROCKS. Google him and read for yourself.
|

replied September 11th, 2010
Bluefuzz; I feel for you, I just had this done on Thursday and I have not been able to move since. And not thinking the pain could get any worse before it was done it actually did, I know there is suppose to be some soreness but this royally sucks. I saw a doctor on some TV special about back pain and I have his name written down so going to try and look him up, as I already have a neuro pain stimulator, which quit working as well as it was last summer when I was on crutches and that seemed to really mess upp where the leads were. Been trying to talk the doc into taking the stim out short term and then doing an updated MRI and then replacing, yes it would be leaving teh incision open while they do an mri if possible but to find if there is additional damage to my back would be nice to know. I deal with RSD, and then Thoracic and Lumbar problems. They never seem to end and trigger points I have also given up on, having about 50 each time and they seem to do nothing either. LEt me know if you find out anything more.
|

replied April 26th, 2011
I noticed that you have RSD. I dont know if you are aware, but there is a GREAT website called physicians for patients.com. It is similar to a facebook style program, but only for rsd/crps patients. It is wonderful!
|

replied May 15th, 2011
RFA
I was thinking about the RFA .How not sure at all
Do you known more person that has had bad results with
RFA and should most stay away form RFA
Thanks
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
I did the stim trial and I HATED it. Too restrictive. I felt like a robot and could not tie my shoes or the leads were pulled out.

I honestly do not know how you stand that thing.
|

replied November 6th, 2010
mynanakandi I really got alot of info about the rfa. THANK YOU!!!! I am sorry to hear about what you went thru. I have an outside stim unit & they wanted to put one in but I said no. What is the difference if I had it for almost 2 yrs. In Dec I am due for an RFA and have been buncing back and forth. I chickened out in Oct. GOOD LUCK with what ever you decide and hope it works out.
|

replied July 31st, 2011
I am due to have the Lumbar Radio Frequency Procedure
I am due to have the Lumbar Radio Frequency Procedure done on Auh 9th, 2011. What can I expect?
|

replied August 12th, 2011
Did you have this done. What has been your experience. I am Due to have one in Sept. For L5-S1. How did you feel the next day any down time?
|

replied August 12th, 2011
Lumbar RFA completed on Aug 9th.
Procedure was not that bad, a couple painful pricks, but that was the extent. Procedure lasted about 45 minutes with 20 minutes recovery afterwards.
I've had a little decrease in pain each day since. So, I'm feeling better. But tonight it's a bit more painful, because I spent over an hour in commute traffic and sitting for long periods is what kills me the most. Doctors did say I should expect some periods of increased pain for the next two weeks. So far, I think it's working. I'll have to see what the next couple days bring.
|
Users who thank imjamu for this post: Certifried 

replied August 5th, 2011
Bluefuzz, I feel EXACTLY like you do. I had my RFA procedure 2 1/2 weeks ago. The pain is absolutely indescribable. This is so absolutely frustrating to me because I've been through hell and back in the last 6 years. I just recently turned 27 and I feel like the pain has only gotten worse. I can't live like this. This was somewhat of a last resort for me. Since all this began, I've done PT, chiropractic care, had 4 steroid injections, 3 facet joint injections, 1 spinal block and had a L5 discectomy last May and now this procedure and I'm worse now. I just want some type of relief. I don't want to take pain pills for the rest of my life and I'm sure those of you who have taken pain medication over the years, have ran into my problem of having such a high tolerance, nothing seems to work. I talked to my doctor earlier this week and he put me on the steroid pack to see if it helps for inflammation. I just wish there was some type of serioius relief because at this point, I've lost all hope. Sad
|

replied December 19th, 2011
jk72484,
I just read your post and emphasize with you. I too have been going through this since I was your age. I am now 37 and dealing with new types of lumbar pain issues. I did go quite a few years though with minimal pain up until recently, so there is hope. I ruptured my disc about 10 years ago and healed from it pretty well with minimal left over pain. Like I said, it is just with in the last 6 month that I keep getting these horrible flare-ups with pain that will not go away. Anyways, I just wanted you to know that I understand how frustrating it can be when you are that young to have something be so debilitating. I hope things have been better for you since your post in August.

Best Regards,
Melissa
|

replied January 10th, 2012
This is exactly how I feel! I have had this pain for 15 years, 9 blocks, numerous injections at the clinic, surgery, seen a chiropractor, PT, rested, mild working out, ruined my stomach on pain releavers. Now it takes a high dosage of pain killers to make a difference and I don't want to do that. I have a consultation with a doctor on 1/11/12 with a doctor for RFA. I guess I will hear what they have to say, but after reading these posts - it doesn't sound promising.
|

go to germany and get fixed if you have hern disc to to german and get ardiffual disc put in utube it
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
jk72484: just had my lumbar L/4, L/5 bilateral facet RFA yesterday after more than 3 years of 3 epidurals,SI inj,facet inj,medial blocks etc. Pain today is 12, yesterday was 10! Percocet was not big enough gun post procedure and had to upgrade to dilaudid. This year I am on a mission to end this ridiculous pain and use of opiates! You are way too young for such pain (I am 44) and I feel the frustration in your post, as I feel it too! Hang in there and don't get depressed Smile May have an answer, as I have enlisted a private Dr. 3 wks ago. He did a myriad of bloodwork that Kaiser has never done and found some interesting things that might be of interest to you..let me know..
|

replied January 12th, 2012
Well, as of 5 months since my last post, pain has pretty much gotten to the point I cannot handle it anymore. I've been on a pain contract with a doctor for a long time now. Taking Mobic, Roxycodone 30 mg, Neurontin 400 mg, and even been put on Celexa since I broke down crying in his office and told him I couldn't handle it any longer. ALL of the medicines aren't working anymore. He wanted to try tne Neurontin since I have a lot of nerve pain but it has since quit working. My pain level is an 8 at it's lowest and I feel like it's taken over my life. As I said earlier, I'm only 27 and it's not fair. I am overweight and have been my entire life (runs in the family). My doctor told me about 3 months ago that a fusion is my best bet but I have to lose 100 lbs first. Here's the deal, I lost 70 just before I had my L5 discectomy in May of 2010 and I hurt worse after I lost it than before. THEN I could try and tough out the pain with pain killers and work my ASS off at the gym. Since, all I can do is swim and have gained back 40 of the 70 I lost. I've been to surgeon after surgeon and I feel like I can't be taken seriously because of my weight and it isn't fair, you want me to lose weight but I have the body of a 90 year old. I just am exhausted. Simply exhausted. It's been going on since 2005 and all I ask is for some relief, not to be pain free. Sad
|

go to german and get new disc put in utube ardiffical disc replacement and learn about it i am
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2012
I to am over weight and think drs dont always take my pain seriously because of my weight. Found a dr that does feel my pain he is thin and also has back problems...he said my weight is a factor in my hip jointpain but my pain would be here skinny or fat. Just had my right side done 2 weeks ago and had left done yesterday (3/14/12). Time will tell. Im 44 yrs old, work in a factory going on 21yrs, on my feet all day on cement floors and floor mats. Not sure how much longer i can do the that line of work. Exhausted is a great way to decribe this feeling!!! Im hoping you find your relief and me too. *_*
|

replied August 31st, 2011
RFA facets
Has anyone had good results from an RFA? all I read on these posts are negative.

GIF
|

replied March 15th, 2012
Yes! I loved my results. I had severe pain before and tried everything. This worked for me. I did hurt REALLY bad for about 3 weeks after then went without pain for 7 months! So, it is worth it.
|

replied March 16th, 2012
Pain relief after RFA
Yes, RFA can be very helpful in reducing your pain. I have had it done twice and the doctors should tell you that after you have the 3 part procedure (meaning you go 3 different times) two different sets of times, the nerves have a hard time reconnecting. This is what relieves your pain. Granted you will be sore for a week or maybe even three, but your pain will be reduced. It takes time after the procedure to notice improvement, but I highly recommend it.
|

replied August 31st, 2011
RFA facets
Has anyone had good results from an RFA? all I read on these posts are negative.

GIF
|

replied September 9th, 2011
I had RFA in my SI joint and although there may be some increased pain at first, I have had an overall decrease in pain from the ablation. The problem with RFA is that the nerves will eventually grow back. I had my RFA in February of 2010 and the pain relief seemed to last approx 10-12 months.

You need to make sure you have an experienced DR treating you. My Dr is awesome. He is an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in injections under flouroscopy and spone surgery. A good dr makes a big difference. Besides the prick of the numbing needles, I felt no pain during the entire procedure. I had four needles in me for the RFA and it did not hurt a bit. Afterwards, my right leg was a wet noodle for several hours, but I did not mind. All the pain was gone while the leg was numb. Again, there was some pain from the procedure once the numbing wore off, but I would say, the pain only lasted a few days.
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Good results with RFA
I had an RFA last October and I'm having a bilateral RFA done today. They usually do one side at a time, but given my condition they do both. I think I remember having some mildly increased pain, but the longer term benefit was well worth it. In the beginning I would get wobbly, accidentally walk or fall into walls, but the more I kept on my feet the more quickly I normalized. It reduced my pain by 95% for almost 6 months. I'm finally getting my second one done, and look forward to extended relief.
|

replied November 21st, 2011
Bowel muscles weakened
I had RFA on L4, L5 and S1 6 weeks ago and now I feel as though the muscles controlling my bowels have weakened. Could there be a connection?
|

replied June 14th, 2012
I had a Cervial RFA and I've noticed an urgency to urinate I didn't have before, not to mention it didn't go so well and now I have a whole new injury on top of all the other crap I had before. I'm just miserable. I'm truly sorry to hear about your troubles.
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
I was wondering that myself and then I read that it CAN be related. Same with bladder.
So, call back the office if it is an issue for you.
|

replied January 20th, 2012
Bilateral Radiofrequency Ablation Complications
I had my second RFA a week ago today. L4 & L5. I have a large amount of Titanium in my back. ALIF and 2 artifical discs. Last year I had the exact symptoms I keep reading above, BURNING, from the inside out. It is bursitis, and you guys need to address it with your doctors. I had to go on 2 rounds of steroids and also an antibiotics. It took a month, but it went away and my chronic back pain, GONE. I just had my second done, as I already stated, a week ago today. My left buttock is burning the same way again. I am going to see my doctor tmrw. I was told the moment I entered the surgical suite, the Bursitis would most likely return again this time and to get care for it sooner, not later. My experience was amazing, besides this. I cannot explain the change in the quailty in my life. It last almost a year. If you have these syptoms or many of the others, Call your DOCTOR! Good luck to all of you. Be strong. Pain stinks.
|

were did you go to get your artifical disc done i am looking to do that and it seems that german is the best place to go. is that wre you wentplease email me to let me know thank you
|

wre did you get your artifical disc sergery done i was going to go to german and get it done is that were you went and if so how did it work for you
|

replied February 7th, 2012
Re: lumbar radiofrequency ablation side effects
hasik0910 wrote:
Doctor I have had both Left and right L3,L4,L5,S1 done with radiofrequency ablation one in Aug 09 the other Jan 10. The left was done first and now since the right one was done I am having sever burning pain around L4 & L5 that cause my leg to just give and i go down. the pain is becoming overwhelming. I am wondering if the nerves are growing back or am I haveing a different problem. Any thought would be greatly apprieciated

I was looking up some info to send to a friend about my RFA procedures. I am HORRIFIED by some of the responses here! People are being scared away from this life-saving (for me) procedure. I have bad arthritis in my lumbar and SI joints (L1-SI). I have an amazing doctor that has performed the RFA for a few years now. I get about 9 months of pain relief. I've only had one minor issue, some burning for a few days after the procedure. It went away in a few days. The pain the RFA treated takes a few weeks to resolve, but each day is better than the last until the pain is gone. This has been incredible for me, it's a safe procedure overall. Sure, there are risks as with any procedure, but do some research. Find a good doctor who is experienced. It's not the horrible destructive thing people are making it out to be.
|

replied February 25th, 2012
Iam having alot of numbnes in my legs and especially my arms..had procedure this afternoon...Do you all think there is a connection? Should I go to the ER?
|

replied February 26th, 2012
I had the rfa porcedure done 3 days ago and my left butt cheek is very mumm will this go away or will it be like this for ever. and if it will go away how long will it take
|

replied April 15th, 2012
RFA is an unethical and barbaric procedure. It is illegal for a doctor to damage or remove a healthy organ.

If you want pain relief. Go outside the US and get a DiscoGel injection that will shrink the disk hernia. OR.. go outside the US and get a an M6 or NeoDisk artificial disk. The disks available in the US suck.
|
Users who thank Iatrogenic for this post: Jahmayka 

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2012
People treated under workers comp cannot do that. I wish I could though. I found a hospital in Germany that does what you wrote and it is not very expensive at all.

They even give you a hotel-like room across the street for about 10 days, so they can monitor you after it is done.

The US is light years away from doing anything remotely good for us. Our discs are hard and unflexible. People do not do well and the back usually rejects them.

Too stupid that you have to leave the country to get decent health care, but he is right, Germany rocks especially for people with bad backs.

The doctor in Germany emailed me right away too. Docs in the US emailing a patient??? I have never heard of this. Too bad we are stuck with this one option. I have tried everything else first and I do not want to live on opiates forever.

Thanks latrogenic ~
|

replied October 12th, 2013
I'm encouraged by your good results of radiofrequency. Can you please provide the name and phone number or city and state of your doctor ? Thank you very much!
|

replied October 12th, 2013
I'm encouraged by your good results of radiofrequency. Can you please provide the name and phone number or city and state of your doctor ? Thank you very much!
|

replied April 15th, 2012
Mayofacial trigger point pain from rfa? Help!
Has anyone gotten mayofacial trigger points as a result of the radial frequency ablation procedure? My Dr did four nerves at once and although I'm super grateful the facet joint pain is gone from my neck and that I am off pain killers, I have literally over six trigger points from this procedure and they hurt and are all connected. I have three in a bundle in the muscle between my shoulder and my neck and then those connect to two behind my neck. Not to mention my neck, back and now the other side of my body is getting these painful muscle knots. Will these ever go away? Thanks!! Cathleen
|
12 >>