Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Lower stomach pain after inguina hernia op ?

Hi i had inguinal hernia open surgery 4 months ago, and last week i played some tennis and football for the first time since before the surgery. The day after and since i have been feeling odd twinges in the lower stomach close to the wound, i went to my doctor straight away who just told me that is normal as I had been doing physical activity and the wound is healed but it may still hurt after sports.

Its been a week since i played, and i only feel it when i bend forward or stretch to reach something.

Is this normal? I am 21 years old and male btw.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 10th, 2010
Unfortunately, the scar tissue that forms after hernia repair is not soft and flexible like normal tissues. Therefore, vigorous physical activities can strain scar tissue (as well as any nerves or other sensitive tissues that the scar has grown into).

Alternating hot and cold packs may help. Also, your doctor might consider prescribing an anti-inflammatory medication for you. If these interventions don't help, then consider a consultation with a physical therapist for stretching and strengthening exercises, and deep heat applications.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied July 12th, 2010
Thanks Dr Wascher, I played tennis again yesterday and i felt great whilst playing but again today i notice a stiffness and an occasional sharp pain around the tissue, my worry is that this is not normal but if the consensus is that it is indeed normal then i wont worry as much.
|

replied July 13th, 2010
Doc, I have also noticed that my stomach is a bit more bloated than usual but i dont know how long its been like that, i had a few days last week when i think i had diarrhea, but other than that my diet hasnt changed and i dont feel full, but my stomach does look bloated?
|
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.