Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

lower spine disc lump ?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
i had a ct scan done and found a spinal disc lump. is there anything i got to worry about with it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 26th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hi leona
lump might be a bulge in wall of disk. i never really heard of term lump. my concern is that ct scans are not the greatest for diagnosing disc trouble. they are much better on bones. ask your dr if an mri might show more about your disk.
with disc trouble the most knowledgeable dr to see would be a surgeon who specializws on the spine....pete
|

replied November 28th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Leona,

This lump could be several things including a synovial cyst or a spinal cyst caused by a disc herniation.

Did a spine surgeon order the CT scan for you?

Have you seen a spine surgeon at all?

If not you need to see either an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in spines or a neurosurgeon that specializes in spines only.

No doubt an MRI will be ordered by the spine surgeon as well to help diagnose what is going on.

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find out and the treatment the spine surgeon suggests.

Fran
|