Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Lower right back pain and aching right hip

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
I have seen many doctors over the years, tried chiropractors, and had cortizone injections into my right SI joint, but nothing relieves my pain. I don't want to take heavy painkillers anymore (dilaudid & hydromorphone). I need a real solution - not be medicated to the point of being numb so I don't care about the pain as much.

The pain is centered in my lower right back and upper buttocks. I can almost pinpoint it. It also causes my hip to ache sometimes. The pain gets so extreme that I have gone to the ER to get a shot to knock me out so I don't feel it.

No bone spurs show up on the CT Scan of my right SI joint (although my chiropractor says that I have them), xrays are unremarkable, and the chiropractic treatment on the right SI joint hurt so bad that I was in bed for 4 days.

I recently had hemorrhoids treated and when the doctor put the scope in, he hit whatever is causing my pain. No pain on the left side at all. Within about 10 minutes (I guess it swelled up) I could barely walk.

Does anyone know what condition or problem could cause this pain? Please help. I've been suffering for over 8 years now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 15th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Quote:
The pain is centered in my lower right back and upper buttocks.

Hard to say for sure without looking at you but I would suggest you try:
"Yoga triangle pose AGAINST THE WALL" (Do a Google search).
- Against the wall will keep you from cheating and twisting your hips.

This may be too intense for you in your current condition. Let me know and I can suggest something else

Quote:
No bone spurs show up on the CT Scan of my right SI joint (although my chiropractor says that I have them)

Bone spurs come from inflammation. Inflammation comes from misalignment of your SI joint.
Your hips are twisted so that, for example, your left hip is rotated forwards and your right hip is rotated backwards. With this condition, you will usually also find one hip is higher than the other.
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
no diagnosis
I am 38yrs old, a r/n for 20yrs abd have been on sick leave since August 2011. i gt up from sitting to greet a friend and felt pain in my lower back, right hip and a burning pain on my right thigh. I have been on many analgesia and even the strong ones didnt work. i have had 2 doses each of cortisone injctn to my back n facet joint which didnt help and an epidural that helped for a week n a half. Ive had ct scan n 2 mri that are normal. The second was done last week n shows c3/4, c4/5, c5/6 mild loss if T2 signal; lumber spine is normal. The pain also goes down to my toes and I also feel pain on my upper back n neck goung down my left arm n fingers. I dont have a diagnosis yt and have seen rheumatologists, physiotherapists, neurosurgeons, orthopaedic profs. I also have alternate bouts of diarrhea n constipatn n sumtyms probs fully emptying my bladder. I am so exhausted n feel like ive hit a dead end again.can u plz help.
|

replied July 3rd, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
The treatments you have tried are designed to relieve your symptoms but DO NOT fix your problem. Those treatments are to give you some relief while your body heals itself. But your condition will not heal itself on its own. You will need to apply some external healing force from things like:
1) Osteopathic manipulation like "neurofacial release"
2) Chiropractor.
3) Muscle balancing / posture based physical therapy.

Quote:
i gt up from sitting to greet a friend and felt pain in my lower back, right hip and a burning pain on my right thigh.

Sitting is terrible for your back and will injure you more. In your condition you should sit as little as possible. Try kneeling on a knee pad instead.

Sagsharm, would you be wiling to try a few exercises?

To put the curve back into your lower back:

1a) "Static extension on elbows" (Do a Google search)
- To get your shoulders pulled back as well, pinch your shoulders together.
--- or ---
1b) "Static back 90-90 position" (Do a Google search)
- Put a rolled up towel of 2 soft foam balls under your lower back just below your beltline.

2) "SEATED PILLOW SQUEEZE E-CISE" (Do a Google search)

3) "SEATED ABDUCTOR PRESS" Part I
a) Sit at the edge of a low step so your thighs are parallel to the ground.
b) Wrap a belt or Yoga strap around your thighs just ABOVE your knees.
c) Press outwards against the strap for 2 seconds. Repeat 20 times.
- Let your abs relax and your hips rotate forwards, putting an arch into your lower back.
- Do NOT let your feet roll in. Keep weight on the outer edges of your feet and off the balls of your feet.
|