Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Lower Leg Hernia

Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
I am due to fly to the UK in 3 weeks and have just been told that I have a hernia in my lower leg. I have not been for a follow up with the doctor yet but worried in case I cannot fly with this condition? I am overweight and just thought my pain was weight related but my mother has had thrombosis years ago and also has a condition called crest. My sister died 4 years ago from marfan syndrome so i am a bit apprehensive about what is going on. Will it be safe to fly and could either crest or marfans be linked in any way?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2011
Unfortunately, since I cannot examine you, I will not be able to offer you a diagnosis. If your doctor has diagnosed a fascial hernia of your lower leg (a condition where the tough fibrous covering, or fascia, over the muscles develops a weak spot), and this is truly the case, then no treatment is generally required; and other than a bulge that occurs when the adjacent muscle contracts, this condition does not pose any significant health threat. However, there are other conditions that can present as a bulge in the lower extremity, and these must be ruled out, as well.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied February 6th, 2014
I was just diagnosed with a hernia in my right front calf last night thinking it was a blood clot n it wasn't the doctor looked at me in disgust n said it was totally benine. I do not see how something that hurts cld be benine and be harmless. I do not know where this cam from n wld like to understand why this happend I have not fallen and amin excellent health. It just came from no where. If it really is nothing I am ok with that. But for future refrence to prevent this I wldlike to know what I cld do thank you.
|
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.