Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Lower left abdominal pain with nausea

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
On Wednesday after going for a run I noticed a dull pressure in my lower left side. When I laid down on my back i noticed that two inches to the left of my belly button and maybe 1/2 to 1 inch down on my stomach was swollen and painful to touch. i made a Drs appt that day with my schools health center. They took a urine sample and did a CBC with STD testing as well and everything came out normal. Thursday i started having constant feeling of nausea and was vomiting. After I have bowel movements or after I eat, I notice the swelling and pain increase. I went to the ER Friday night as the pain has only increased and spread almost to my ribcage and down lower towards my pelvis. They did a CT scan of the area blood work and a urine sample and could find nothing. Saturday I only felt worse nausea continued and so did the pain. The swelling comes and goes but if I walk or stand for more than 10 minutes I feel the need to either vomit or sit down doubling in pain. I went back to the ER on saturday and they did an ultrasound of my ovaries another pelvic exam and an xray of my ovaries. They found nothing except this time when they did Urine sample they found a UTI. I have felt no symptoms of the UTI and was having no trouble with urination. My doctors, however, tried to tell me that this pain and swelling I've been having in what feels to me like my intestines and stomach is caused by the UTI that i just got yesterday. I don't feel this is correct as my pain worsens when I eat, when i feel stressed, or when I do any activity for more than 30 minutes. This morning i woke up and my right neck lymph-nodes are swollen and the pain has not decreased. I do not want to go back to the ER as I find them not helpful but I don't have a regular doctor up here at school and am not 100% comfortable with the health center on campus. I am hoping that someone might be able to give me any tip on what this might be, what i should do, or who i should talk to next.
Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 10th, 2009
hello I have lower left abdominal pain and back pain and they check me for kidney stones and UTI but everything was normal but I did have blood in my urine but no nitrate and it does hurt when I move around a lot. I had CT scan and ultrasound and found nothing. It's been like this for over a month.
|

replied June 10th, 2009
Experienced User
Have they checked for gallbladder issues? You could have gallstones, especially since you said it's worse after you eat. I think you need to find a regular doctor where you are. You aren't going to get consistent care in the ER. I agree that your college health center isn't right to handle this problem. You might also consider seeing a GI doctor, to check for gallbladder problems.

Have they given you medication for the UTI and are you taking it? It is possible that the infection is bad enough that it is causing this pain, so this needs to be ruled out before a doctor is going to look for something else. That's just the way they are.

I would try to find a Primary Care doctor there and get in as soon as possible or go home and go to your old doctor. You need consistent care.
|

replied June 13th, 2009
Thanks, I've come back to my home to see my primary physician. He said it could be a muscle tear in the abdomen but sent me to a GI doctor just in case. That doctor couldn't feel anything but said since the problem has persisted for over 3 weeks hes going to do a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy. I hope this gives some answers however i am not so certain. I did take a medicine for the UTI and that is all better yet the symptoms I described earlier still persist.
|