Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower back swells

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
What could be causing this. I have a 4 inch length on back when lightly pressed feels like a bad bruise (thoracic area). If i stand or sit for longer than 30 min. my lower back (right above tailbone) swells it even looks bruised (lightly black and blue) and sometimes i can't get up from a sitting position. When i sneeze and sometimes when i cough i get heartburn like feeling in chest and back and my arms ache and throb and my hands go numb. My upper back extended down to below my shoulder blades (especially in the shoulder blade area) feels like i have a heating pad on it when i lean up aginst something (couch, wall, etc.)it's so hot but not hot to the touch. My hands get that sleeping feeling a lot, especially when i'm in bed, not any specific postion. i either can't go to sleep b/c of pain or it wakes me up. My legs get achy and crampy especially in the thigh area but not alot. got referal for upper and mid back mri and ortho. but can't afford it. lost job due to missing so many days

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2009
Back Pain Answer A6337

According to the data you provided, you might be experiencing neurological symptoms caused either by increased irritability of the nerves or by putting pressure on them. If the latter is true, then it can not be told whether the condition is caused by disc bulges (more than L4-L5) or spine deformities without additional physical examination by orthopedic surgeon and visualization methods like X-ray of the spine and/or CT/MRI of the spine.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.