Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

lower back rash

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Hi doctor,

I am a 23 year old male and about five days ago I developed rash on my lower back. As you can see on the photos, it encapsulates 3 red clusters among which the middle one, which also appears to be almost bruise-like, is causing mild itching. It is rough to touch and does not cause any pain. However, itching does seem to intensify after sweating from working out and it appears that it is easier to refrain from itching in somewhat cooler environment. Over the 5 days period this rash does not show significant expansion and so far it is consistent in color.

Photos:
day-2 (taken at nightime)

day-4 (taken in daytime)

day-4 high resolution

The last sexual intercourse I had 4 months ago with my ex-girlfriend, I never had chickenpox before and I do not have bed bugs. There are no recent additions to my diet and I do not have any allergies that I am aware of. Other than having this rash and experiencing stress from a school related matter, I believe that I am healthy.

My question is could this be HSV-2, cancer, or an HIV symptom?

I understand that it is hard to tell diagnosis without proper testing, but I am very worried and I would greatly appreciate any response.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 8th, 2008
Today is the seventh day since I developed this rash. I've been using Zyrtec pills and treated the area with 2.5% Hydrocortisone cream for the past three days.

This is how it looked this morning:

Having a shirt on irritates the rash and causes mild itching. Also, wearing socks causes my feet to burn.
|

replied July 28th, 2012
i would guess it is related to your laundry soap. Apparantely we can develop allergies to things we have been using along time. Switch to hypoallergenic and see if it gets better. do not use fabric softner, as can cause allergies as well. i am positive this is not any std or hiv symptom or anything like that. This is a common event for many people.
|