Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower back pain, only feel it when I bend a little forward?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hello I'm 25 year old male I'm 6'1 and I weight 215lb's

I've been having a lower back pain for past 6 months. Sometimes my back feels better sometimes it feels worse and I have no possible explanation what causes the pain and what makes it go away the pain. I never had any back injuries. My back pain originated very close to belt line on the back, somewhere right above the belt line.

I do all kind of back stretches everyday, mostly I try to stretch hamstrings for about 10-20 min (different group of exercises). Exercising do not cause any pain, I can do any group of exercises without hurting myself. My back pain come and goes during the day, usually it comes when I stand up for a while, or do some boring job without much activities or movement involved while standing up. My job sometimes requires me to do some heavy lifting, it does not happen often and I don't think it makes my back pain any worse. My pain goes away when I sit down (if it's not comfortable positing my back gets tensed but no pain.) or when I lay down.

I wake every morning without pain and only feel it when I bend a little forward to open the water at the sink. When I straighten it goes away. and even that does not happen every morning.

I hear cracking in my back while doing standing rotation stretch. I'd like to notice that it happens with many other non back stretches.

From physical point of view I consider myself average fit. My main hobby is cycling (road bike). I do get some back pain while cycling for an hour or more, but it goes away withing 5 or 10 min when I change my hands position on the handle bar. I ride around 2500 miles every year, I do not ride during the winter time.

Two months ago I visited doctor and complained about my back, he said it might be just muscle strain. I did an x-ray which did not show anything.

I have no idea what to do with my pain. My pain is not horrible and it does not restrict me from doing anything, but I afraid that it can worsen once I get older.
Right now I'm trying to lose few extra pounds, I have already lost around 10 lb's and I don't think it actually helped me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 15th, 2012
Few questions :

1) Is your spine cord straight? Or is it like zig-zag? I have a zig-zag spine and i've had such back pain for many years, I've blacked out once after standing in one position for two hours.

2) Do you sit straight? or you tend to lower your front and bend your back? For example while sitting in front of a computer if you back is not straight and you sit for 2 plus hours, it strains your muscle ( what the doctor said ) and it might hurt to lay down after the muscle has felt such an extreme.

3) Is your back more heavily built than your front muscle wise? Since i was a child i've did a lot of work out and my arms, chest and back are strongly built, however my abs and legs are same as someone's who never did a work out in their life and sit in front of a computer for 20 plus hours, I suspect it might have some kind of negative effect on the lower back ( strongest muscles on my body ).

If you could please answer maybe then I could help even a little.
|

replied February 15th, 2012
Experienced User
Thanks for the reply.
1) my spine is straight, no zig zags It has been confirmed by my doctor from last x-ray. ( and i knew it from before as well)
2)I honestly do not sit straight, sitting down does not make my spine feel worse. My butt is some where closer to the edge of the computer chair, so my back is curved but has support. I have computer case underneath my desk (I only use computer at home) so I put my legs on top of it. bottom line is I don't sit straight all the time but it does not seem to hurt me.
3)My legs are pretty well built I used to do a lot of cardiovascular activities. I can't be sure, but I'll try work out my back, but as I said I could not really find a solution to my issue.

a. my back hurts me little when I wake up in the morning. When I walk around or sit with good support pain goes away.
b. Pain comes back when I stand in the same position without any activities for some time.
|

replied February 16th, 2012
unnamedny wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
1) my spine is straight, no zig zags It has been confirmed by my doctor from last x-ray. ( and i knew it from before as well)
2)I honestly do not sit straight, sitting down does not make my spine feel worse. My butt is some where closer to the edge of the computer chair, so my back is curved but has support. I have computer case underneath my desk (I only use computer at home) so I put my legs on top of it. bottom line is I don't sit straight all the time but it does not seem to hurt me.
3)My legs are pretty well built I used to do a lot of cardiovascular activities. I can't be sure, but I'll try work out my back, but as I said I could not really find a solution to my issue.

a. my back hurts me little when I wake up in the morning. When I walk around or sit with good support pain goes away.
b. Pain comes back when I stand in the same position without any activities for some time.

Agh! I think I might have an idea on what could be wrong! And the reason doctors didn't see anything on x-rays is because it is either : A nerve which for some reason moved from it's original position and only when you stand your muscles give it pressure so it hurts over-time not each time you press it.
Your Lymph node , it is possible, however I've never heard of such situation not even sure if there is one at the lower back.
Wound. Not really sure how this could happened, but theoretically it is possible you have an internal wound which isn't serious, however activity opens it up and whenever you are in a standing position it gets swollen from the pressure.

These are only assumptions though, I don't have a medical degree, heck I only have 7/10 from biology.
|

replied February 17th, 2012
Experienced User
thanks for the thought.
I guess i need to try to apply some heating to my back and try t limit my activities for a little while. I had a pain in my ankle a year back (something like a spur but x-ray did not show a thing again) some kind of inflammation. it took about 3 months for pain to go away.
|

Well we both know well enough lower-back is more serious. If there is something serious that the doctors are missing you could be left disabled in a wheel chair, let's just hope that it's nothing serious and that it will go away!

Good luck!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
unnamedny,

Sorry about your troubles.

From the description of the location of your posterior back pain ("My back pain originated very close to belt line on the back, somewhere right above the belt line.), I am assuming that since most men do not wear their belts up around the waist, but rather down around the level of the iliac crest (pelvic rim), that your pain is around the area of the superior sacroiliac joints and posterior pelvic crest.

There are several muscles which attach to the posterior iliac crest and are mostly responsible for postural control. And when you describe your discomfort as, "only feel it when I bend a little forward to open the water at the sink", goes along with a strain of those muscles. Patients will also complain of discomfort when they keep the back straight, but have to lean forward slightly, unsupported, to reach for something, as when getting something off of the middle shelf of the refrigerator.

When you straighten back up, you are no longer actively contracting those muscles, so the discomfort goes away. Basically, whenever the muscles are used, they cause pain.

This strain is basically the same as muscle strains elsewhere in the body and as such, usually takes a while to get over. Many patients have chronic problems. It does help to maintain one's weight/BMI, maintain cardiovascular fitness, spine flexibility through stretching, and core/abdominal muscle strengthening.

However, another problem could be the sacroiliac joint. Disorders of the SI joint will often present in much the same way as muscle strains in the area.

One test, specifically for the SI joint is called the FABER test. You can google it, and there are several sites on the internet which will tell you how it is done. If this test is positive, it is highly suggestive of an SI disorder.

Neurological disorders, such as a compressed nerve root usually cause neurogenic pain, numbness/tingling, and/or weakness in the area innervated by that nerve root, which are usually in the lower extremities.

Degenerative changes within the spine, such as DDD (degenerative disc disease), spondylosis, or facet joint degeneration can all cause lower back pain, but each has its own pattern and tests.

If the discomfort is significant enough to bother you, you may want to see a spine surgeon for a thorough evaluation.

Good luck.
|

replied March 17th, 2013
Why does my back hurt???
My back hurts when band forward. not the lower back ... its the middle portion and the pain appears only when i stretch and goes away when I stretch. the pain is on both sides of my back bone in the mid regin ... whr i do my bra.. what could b the possible reason??? it started about a month ago. doesnt alwys hurt but mostly after i had been sitting for a while or lying down for a while.
what do I do to get rid of it???
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2013
relief of symptoms
try medical cannabis. indicas for body(end of day/bedtime) sativa for head(morning). if your prefure eddibles they some times take 30min to 1 hour for full effect. plan a day to do nothing so you can experament to find the right dose for you. remeber that you can go up. but to come down you need time. if taken to much go to sleep/ take a nap. just figure i throw it out there it could help.
|