Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

lower back pain L4, L5

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
From an X-ray my Dr was able to tell me that I have (a) 4 MM of Retrolisthesis of L4 with moderate narrowing,(b) mild Retrolisthesis of L5 with mild narrowing and(c) the "pars" at L5 both are detached (can't remember how they discribed this "pars" stuff (c) but both of them are broken basicly) This (c) does not have to due with the bones directly, I guess it has to do with the disk. My questions are, 1) If you can understand what i mean by "pars" (c) being detached or broken can you explain it to me??? 2) what are my options?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 23rd, 2010
Active User, very eHealthy
The pars are small bony features at the rear of the vertebra that help lock the vertebra in place because they fit into a groove in the vertebrae above. When they break off like yours have the back part of the vertebrae is still locked in place, but the front part is free to slip forward, but this does not mean that they always do.

The two main options are surgery, and strengthening of the muscles that support the vertebrae.
|

replied July 24th, 2010
some dislocation of vertebra from normal facet spase cause
the same and plus bulging disk.Soft manual methods(applyed kinesiology) can helps yo you.plus used karipain( concetrate from papaya,hyalorunate NA,hondroitin,bosvelin)get good results! Thank you.
|

replied March 8th, 2011
Pars and Vertebra
Pars are for holding the vertebra in its position in the spinal. Those with a pars fracture may feel pain and stiffness in the lower back that is worsened with activity and improves with rest. Hyper-extension (abnormal stretching) of the lower back will usually aggravate the area as it overloads the pars fracture.

Occasionally, nerve symptoms can be present that may include a 'pins and needles' sensation in a leg, with or without numbness or weakness in the leg. The treatment for a pars fracture is initially non-operative and includes rest and bracing. The fracture can be assessed with a series of x-rays every few months. Bracing can last for 3-4 months while the fracture heals, and physical therapy can also be included to maintain and help strengthen the abdominal and back muscles with specific directed exercises.

If the person has persistent pain after non-operative treatment, surgery may be required. There are two operations that may be performed:

1. A laminectomy, which refers to a procedure in which the surgeon removes that portion of the vertebra that includes the pars interarticularis. This is used if there are nerve roots being affected that require decompression.

2. A posterior lumbar fusion, if a spinal segment has become loose or unstable. A spinal fusion allows two or more bones to grow together, or fuse, into one solid bone. This keeps the bones and joints from moving. Rehabilitation will start six weeks after surgery to allow the bone to heal (fuse). Therapy will usually last for 6-8 weeks, and a patient should expect full recovery to take up to six months.

All depends upon the diagnosis the patient going through. By that recommendation will given by his expert.
|