Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower back pain i clicked my lower back and now...

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I dance about 5 times a week for about 4-5 hours each practice, and from these hard sessions i have picked up some bad injuries, But i also have a bad habit of clicking.. And one time my back was hurting quite a bit so i clicked my lower back and now a few days later there is just a horrible aching feeling and every time i move my right leg a sharp pain hits my right lower back. I'm not sure if its the clicking that has caused it but i need some tips to help my back out. please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Ginolino
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Could be a slipped disk (herniated disk) or just a muscle spasm in your lower back. Had the same problem and it was a slipped disk. MRI gave me the right picture of what is was once and for all. In this case only exercise will help, have to build up muscles to support your back.
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Ok, thank you very much!
|

replied May 15th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
You may have an imbalance in your hips:

1) Can you do splits equally left and right?
2) Do you have equal turn-out with both legs?
3) Do you have equal turn-in with both legs?
4) Is one hip higher than the other?
- Stand on stairs with heels off the stair.
- Let them drop.
- Do both heels drop equally?
5) Stand against a wall:
- Can you side-bend equally to the left and the right?
6) Lie on the floor:
- Knees and hips bent 90 degrees.
- Can you spiral to the right and left the same amount?
|

replied May 17th, 2012
1) Yes
2) Not now with my injury but i can normally!
3) Yes
4) Yes but with control
5) Its painful when i bend to the right side but fine when i bend to the left
6) Not really
|

replied May 17th, 2012
I've only got a minute today.
There appears to be a rotation problem with your hips and a reaction into your back. I can onl ybe brief
The high hip side means your hip flexor (psoas) is tight.
1) "Progressive groin stretch"
- When you do front splits, you have to be precise and keep hips squared to the front. then it may show a problem.
The hip adductor is tight on the high hip side/ weak on the low hip side.
2) Traingle pose but AGIANST THE WALL and keep both hips at the wall - one may try to lift off the wall.
3) Seated adductor press;
- Still on low stool
- Wrap strap around legs jsut above the knees.
- press outwards
- ALTERNATE squeeze a yoga block betwen knees instead.
W
|

replied May 17th, 2012
Experienced User
It would seem that you has sciatic nerve problem and a few other back and leg nerves which are pinched and dislocated. They would need to be reset soonest as it would get worse. I would ask that you do no lift anything. The next thing you should do, is to use a hot water bottle or an electric heating pad every night to your lower back area and take 2 Ibuprophen 400 mg every 12 hours.

Next, You need to see someone who can help you reset those nerves. I know as I have been a Healer for 14+ years.
|

replied May 18th, 2012
As a dancer, you are probably very body aware so I will get to the point.
Quote:
every time i move my right leg a sharp pain hits my right lower back.

Your psoas muscle is your primary hip flexor. It attaches to your thigh and the 5 lumbar bones L1-L5 and T12. When you lift your right leg, your right psoas tightens and compresses the right side of your lower back.
Quote:
5) Its painful when i bend to the right side but fine when i bend to the left

As well as as tight right psoas muscle your right side quadratus lumborum muscle is also probably tight. Like the psoas muscle, it attaches to the L1-L5 bones in your lower back. But instead of attaching at the front like the psoas muscle, it attaches to the side.
When your right Q.L. and psoas muscles are tight, it will shift your entire spine to the right. Bending to the right, compresses it even more causing pain. This is my guess.
Quote:
6) Lie on the floor:
- Knees and hips bent 90 degrees.
- Can you spiral to the right and left the same amount?......Not really

This is a test for your external and internal oblique muscles. They rotate your spine left and right. As you cannot rotate equally, one side is tighter than the other.

TRY THESE:
1) HAND LEG OPPOSITE GLIDES:
a) Lie face down on the floor with arms extended straight overhead.
b) Let your ankles drop out to the sides so your feet are pigeon-toed.
c) Reach UP with the LEFT ARM and DOWN with the RIGHT LEG.
d) Now switch and reach UP with the RIGHT ARM and DOWN with the LEFT LEG.

2) "STANDING WINDMILL" (Do a Google search)
a) First shift your torso to the side, THEN bend to that side.
b) Bend left / right with your feet at 3 different widths: shoulder width -then wider -then wider still.

3) Yoga triangle pose (Do a Google search) but AGAINST THE WALL!!!
- keep both hips at the wall - one may try to lift off the wall.

4) Tondues to the side with parallel feet and using a Thera-band for resistance.

OR INSTEAD of 4)

5) OUTER THIGHS E-CISE (20 repetitions):
a) Lie on your side, with bottom leg bent, rest head on hand.
b) Lift top (straight) leg up 3-4", keep quad tight and toes back.
c) Point the top leg's foot slightly DOWN so the leg is slightly pidgeon toed.

6) INNER THIGH E-CISE (20 repetitions):
Lying on your side, with top leg bent and foot flat on the floor (like a figure 4), rest head on hand, lift the bottom leg (straight leg) up 3-4 inches off the floor, keep quad tight and toes back.

After class, before you tighten up:
7) "Supine groin stretch e-cise" (Do a Google search)
- You should find your right side is tighter than your left.

I hope you will give these a try.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2012
It is to use a hot water bottle or an electric heating pad every night to your lower back area and take 2 Ibuprophen 400 mg every 12 hours.
|

replied June 8th, 2012
Oh wow! Thank you to everyone who has replyed, i have been doing everything you have said and the pain is starting to ease. My mum is going to take me to an osteopath in the next week so all of the pain can go away. Thank you!!
|

replied June 9th, 2012
Glad you are improving. Ask the osteopath what he sees wrong with muscle imbalances and posture. That will be a good guide as to what exercises you can do on your own.

I've had okay success with osteopaths but still no substitute for doing my own exercises. They can release tight muscles and help a little with stretching (still not enough without my own efforts) but the only way to strengthen the muscles is on your own.
|