Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower back pain - dull ache

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
I've had lower back pain for the last week, a dull ache. It starts when I sit at my computer, car, or couch. Lately its been a slight sharp stabbing pain. The pain usually alternates from one side to the other. I feared that it might be a kidney problem, so I've been drinking tons of water and cranberry juice. I have no other symptoms (fever, frequent/infrequent urine, blood in urine, etc.). Today, I noticed that my abdomen is cramping on both sides just over my hip, and around my waist. If I press on my back / wa

I've been getting over a cough, and did wake up one morning feeling simply exhausted, but felt much better later in the day. Also, about 2 weeks ago when I initially had a cold, I took some advil cold and sinus (contains ibuprofen 200mg) and went with my wife to an xmas party where I consumed 3 glasses of wine.. (dont ask why). I also had 1 tablet 6-8 hours prior, and am paranoid I caused damage.

What do you think? Normal back pain or kidney problem? Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 21st, 2009
Panic Attacks Answer A8650
Hello.

The problem could lie in the nerves passing through your lumbar vertebrae. Usually with maintaining a particular sitting position for a long time the inter-vertebral discs may protrude a bit outside. This leads to nerve impingement causing the pain and the other neurological problems.

I suggest you get an evaluation done by a neurologist. You may need to get nerve conduction studies done if the neurologist feels the need for.

Even though these are the possibilities, it may still be a low backache due to muscle spasticity. Relaxing the muscles regularly with back exercises quite often relieves the pain and other related symptoms.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.