Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower back pain after fall

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Fast story , slipped and fell on snow covered ice back in December 2008 , had x ray done the next day , nothing was broken , fast forward Sept 1st 2009 stil to this day I am having very sharp / dull pains in my lower back ( left leg goes numb randomly) , right hip locks up ( feels like a pulled muscle) and to this day I have seen a regular doctor , a surgeon ( very good surgeon , but was in and out of his office in 20 minutes) , and a injection/ pain doctor ( all but last found nothing wrong , injection saw a muscle issue in back) , tests I have taken MRI ( no stenosis or disk damage) , CT scan ( no disk damage , but showed narrowing of spine), EMG nerve test Sept 10th. To this date nothing has come of this and is very frustrating anyone experience this?

Also does anyone think a workers comp case would get less results as opposed to a normal health issue?

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 1st, 2009
Hi,
with all of the studies negative, after 9 months it seems like it would be time to start some rehab with physical therapy. After an injury the back muscles can become imbalanced, a trained therapist can teach you exercises to strengthen muscle groups that may have atrophied.

Studies have shown that workers comp cases usually get better more elaborate treatment, and are slower to return to full activity after an injury.

Good Luck
Dave
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Lower back pain , negative test results , ohh my!!!!
looking4help2009 wrote:
Fast story , slipped and fell on snow covered ice back in December 2008 , had x ray done the next day , nothing was broken , fast forward Sept 1st 2009 stil to this day I am having very sharp / dull pains in my lower back ( left leg goes numb randomly) , right hip locks up ( feels like a pulled muscle) and to this day I have seen a regular doctor , a surgeon ( very good surgeon , but was in and out of his office in 20 minutes) , and a injection/ pain doctor ( all but last found nothing wrong , injection saw a muscle issue in back) , tests I have taken MRI ( no stenosis or disk damage) , CT scan ( no disk damage , but showed narrowing of spine), EMG nerve test Sept 10th. To this date nothing has come of this and is very frustrating anyone experience this?

Also does anyone think a workers comp case would get less results as opposed to a normal health issue?

Thank you

You have contradictory test results. you posed that the MRI shows no stenosis, but the CT scan shows narrowing of the spine which is spinal stenosis.

I suggest that you take all of your test results, MRI films, CT films and get a second opinion. you have nerve compression going on and that is why your leg goes randomly numb on you.

You may or may not have a muscle problem directly related to the fall, but you can also have a muscle problem from the spine issues as you are no doubt not walking correctly and pulling muscles.

AS for the WC, well, the people I know that have been forced to use it, have had to fight tooth and nail to be able to see doctors that they need to see, have had to fight for good quality medical care and have all had to hire WC attorneys to protect their interests and their health.

It does depend on what state you live in, what type of WC coverage and who the business has the coverage with, but the most important thing to remember is this.

WC is nor for your protection, it is for the business that you work for. It pays bills for the employer and will do whatever they can to save money and usually give the minimal care that is required to heal your problem, then they want to be done with you regardless of whether you need further or long term care.

If you are using WC for medical care, then please hire an attorney that specializes in WC to protect your interest.

The last thing I have ever heard is that one gets really good medical care with WC. It's known to provide as little as possible and control the doctors that you can see, usually not the best in the business.

Good luck

Fran
|

replied September 15th, 2009
lower back pain (sacrum and hip)
I have similiar accident. fell down with my behind and had no pain for 2 weeks. Then suddenly, i just had pain in lower left towards the tail bone. it then progressed to the sacrum, hip and buttocks. it feels like i have dislocated my hip or something just snapped out of its place. standing and walking is painful. sitting down too long makes my back feel stiff. I have been seeing a chiropractor and massage therapist. treatment has been helpful but not yet fully recoverd after 5 treatments. I use traumell antiflammatory creme(homeopathic) to help me go to sleep and function during the day. that stuff gets rids of pain.
|