Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower back knot

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Hello all, I'm a 20 year old male. For about three years I have had what feels like a big knot in my lower left back about 2 inches from the spine near where my belt line is. It was first noticed by my fiance during a back rub. She tried working it out but it wouldnt go away. It didn't hurt untill about a year ago. I got it checked out by a doctor and he said it wasn't cancerous, and was unable to tell me exactly what it was. It is hard, you cannot see it, but if you push on my lower back it is clearly felt. It is pretty ancored but can kinda push it side to side. It is causing me pretty constant back pain, stiffness and ache, but no shooting pains. It just makes me feel like I've been lifting poorly all day, even if I've layed around all day. Any input is SO greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 17th, 2009
I would go and see a physio if I were you. A real hands on,massage one(maybe a sports physio). Belt line? You could be a Simon Cowell trouser wearer. . . sorry! but it could be a muscle spasm/knot, a physio will be able to tell you.I have piriformis muscle syndrome (from a fall) and had a similar (egg shaped) lump in the top of my bum,rh. The large lump did dissapear but I have small knotted lumps in this and other lumbar and buttock muscles which bring on sciatica.Hope you get it sorted.
|

Helenlegs11: Thank you so much for your input, a physiotherapist huh? I will check into that. I have no insurance I'm afraid, I make enough to pay bills, but not enough to afford the companies insurance policy. And I believe I make too much to qualify for gov. health care. I'm not sure what to do when it comes to actually going out and getting stuff checked out due to that fact of no insurance.. Sad
|

I'm English so we have the national health service but I still pay for my physiotherapy, paying for pain! ! but it really is worth it. I would think that one session would determine what your problem is but if you do google piriformis syndrome and think your symptoms are similar there are some exercises to do that might help.
|

It isn't anything like wha tteh Piriformis Syndrome sounds like. It's a stiff ache across my lower back, cus of that lump. It's the size of a golf ball sawd in half and placed under the mussle tissue. I'm seeing a chiropractor tomorrow morning, in hopes of him being able to tell from x-ray/experience/evaluation what exactly it is. I'm starting to suspect a herniated disc or something similar? Thank you for your guys responces, you're insight is really appreciated.
|