Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Lower back, hip and leg pain and weakness...mild foot drop.

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I fell at work on Feb 13th 2012, landed flat on my butt hard. I immediately felt lower back pain, leg pain and numbness almost like electrical shocks going down my leg.

I went to the hospital within an hour where the doctor took an xray of my tailbone and hips. All showed fine and he said I had some soft tissue b
ruising. Put me on modified duties at work for a few days to give things time to heal.

Went to work the next day, last about 2 hours and was in so much pain I left and headed straight to my family doctor. He ordered a CT scan due to my leg weakness as I cannot lift one foot as high as the other and I cannot walk on my heels with left foot.

CT scan was done a couple days later. I received a call from my doctors office stating the CT scan indicated a pinched nerve and I was being scheduled for an MRI.

MRI was done 3 days later and now I sit and wait for those results.

My lower back pain had gone away for abit but is now back, my leg pain is still there but not as bad most likely due to the medications I am taking for pain. I think I still have some numbness on the inside of my foot but at this point I don't know. I get leg pain cramps. I am still on modified duties at work but cannot take my meds near the end of the day as I have to drive one hour to get home and the medications leave me buzzy and tired.

If I indeed have a pinched nerve.....what is the best treatment?

Thanks
Cathy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
CMarie,

It depends upon what is pinching the nerve.

If it is from the herniation of a disc, and the nucleus pulposus is in contact with the nerve root. In this case, some surgeons feel that treatment with a steroid dose pack, to decrease the inflammation around the nerve root. Then let the herniated nucleus pulposus resolve on its own.

Other surgeons feel that surgery should be done to remove the herniated disc material that is pressing on the nerve root.

If it is some other structure that is compressing the nerve, then it is up to the surgeon to determine if the problem will be persistent or if it will resolve. Usually, though, if it is due to an osteophyte (bone spur), facet joint hypertrophy, hypertrophy of the ligaments around the lateral recess and neural foramen (where the nerves exit the spine), these structures have to be removed surgically.

However, it is very important for you to go over the MRI, in correlation with your history, symptoms, and physical exam.

Then to come up with a treatment plan, based on that evaluation.

Good luck.
|

replied March 12th, 2012
The MRI is the best test to really see what is going on, but your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I also fell, twisted mynbodynfalling down stairs & was diagnosed with a herniated disc at L5-S1' and also had pain by hip, down back of thigh to the heel of my foot, also burning zaps down my leg if I moved wrong, plus pain & numbness in the heel of my foot.

Have had 3steroid shots in back & only after the third one did I feel some relief. I am also in phys therapy & started IDD therapy, which has given me the best results after only 5 treatments.
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
For last one month I was suffering from left hip and leg electrifying pain, it becomes worse when I tried to sit or stand from sitting position. I have shown three different doctors in Bangalore, India. one of them told it's because of muscle stiffness. Another one is saying me it's because of disc problem which is pinching my sciatica nerve. I have done MRI, still report yet to come. I have taken lots a pain killer and gone through physiotherapy for 7 days but of no use. Finally I came across one oil called SANDHI SUDHA OIL made from rare plantation and herbals of HIMALAYA and I used it three times from last 2 days. Believe me now I am quite ok, there is no more pain. I am able to do my work though I am very cautious trying avoid bending and walking fast. One can google about SANDHI SUDHA OIL, who knows it can also make you laugh just the way it works for me. Cost will be around 50USD for three bottles. Very little amount I would say for this irritating pain.
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
get lost spammer
|

replied July 2nd, 2012
Lower lumbar back pain
I feel you. I feel on the ice on January 31, 2012. I landed on my butt. After not getting better I visited my acupuncturist. Then a spine Physiatrists, I have had x rays and hav had an MRI. I have used up all my physical therapy for the year. I have gone from working 6 shifts at work to 2. I have been on steroids, anti inflammatory, ambien, and Percocet. I had to go off those meds due to an ulcer I developed from my meds. I have had 2 facuet joint injections, I received minimal relief. I had another proceedure before my radio frequency neurotomy to pin point the proper nerve. And then the proceedure where they burn the nerve to kill it for up to 2 years. I had it 19 days ago. They say it can take up to a month to feel better. Now I'm on gabapentin for the nerve pain. It feels like I have frost bite on my left buttocks and down my left leg. My hip is so week., and painful, actually it's more my groin area. . I can't say I have neuropathy on my rightside as well as I had an injury from years ago that resulted in neuropathy and I had therapy relearned to walk. I've been weaker on my right side for years. Since my fall I have been told I have arthritis, lumbar spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. None of which are caused by my fall. I visit a back surgeon later this week. My friends don't understand my pain. I've lost my smile and my sparkle in my eye. I cannot walk more than 50 feet without crying. I use a cane. I try to stay at home unless I have a dr appt. I just cannot cope with all the pain. I know everyone is different but if you fing something that works for you please share. Good Luck
|