Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

lower back/hamstring pain

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
My lower back started hurting about a month ago. Since then, it's moved to my left hip/glute and it hurts to sit for any length of time, esp. in the car. When I walk, sometimes it sends a sharp pain down my hamstring, which also hurts when I try to bend down, as if to touch my toes, and when mowing or walking. My back doesn't hurt as much now, except if I'm raising straight up from lying on my stomach or if I sneeze. I noticed this week that there's a sort of knot, that moves on my left glute, when I tried to stretch my hip over our foam roller. Any suggestions? Could this be a sciatic nerve issue or pulled hamstring?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper unclesteve
|

replied April 4th, 2012
Allison - I'm not a doctor, but this sounds to me like a pretty clear case of a herniated disc in your lumbar spine. Fairly common. This can be confirmed with an MRI. Hopefully you start to feel better soon.
|
Users who thank BrianFL for this post: Allison2 

replied April 5th, 2012
Experienced User
Not a doctor either. It does sound like an issue with your disc/sciatic nerve. I doubt it is a pulled hamstring with the back pain.

I have a herniated disc L4-5 , and I have pain in my calf muscle. I describe it , at times, as feeling like I have a hot wire shoved through the muscle.

I was told I get that knot from limping. That causes the muscle to bunch up.

Hope you are lucky and it is just a bulging disc, not a rupture.
|
Users who thank unclesteve for this post: Allison2