Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Low white blood cell count normal ?

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I recently went to the doctor for a physical examination. They did a blood work-up and found that my white blood cell count was low. I was sent to a hematoligist who did some further testing for hiv and hepatitis A, B and C. The results came back with my white blood cell count being even lower but the tests for hiv and hepatitis were negative. However the doctor informed me that my iron levels are high. There were other abnormal blood results as follows: LOW SEG. NEUTROPHILS, HIGH MONOCYTES, FERRITIN 420 (above normal), FOLATE >20.00 (above normal), VITAMIN B12 915 (one point above normal), CHLORIDE 102 (one point below normal), ALKP 117 (above normal), TIBC 220 (below normal), TRANSFERRIN SAT 56.4 (above normal). The doctor informed me that the probable cause of my low white blood cell count was that some people of middle eastern, asian, or african decent tend to have a normal white blood count that is just lower than standard levels. Is this true and if so why have I never been told this before? I seem to be very healthy and am not experiencing any other symptoms of poor health.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ACR
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
Hi I have the same situation my white blood cell is aroung 2.4 to 3.2. Im now 27 and i have a well documented Blood test past. I found this when i was 17 years old. I got the exact same answer from my Hematologist. He said, north african tend to have lower white blood cells. It would make sense has I come from the south of Italy.
|

replied October 23rd, 2009
Also i forgot to add, my sister how is 24 as the exact same blood count. We are both very heatly (Never got severly sick).
|

User Profile
replied October 24th, 2009
Supporter
my son had low white blood cells when he was first born and he also had to see a hemoglobin doctor.
he is now 13 years old and it is low again. the doctor told me to make sure he eats enough protein because my son tend to not eat the meat i cook.
i stop using my medication and is now using omega 3 fatty acids which is normalizing my blood pressure.
my point is i think you should research herbs for your problem because it's working well for me.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
Low white blood cell count among Asians
I am an Asian male. I recently transferred to a new primary physician in another state and after my annual blood test, he told me my white blood cell count was low at 3.9. He ordered me to retake the test and it came in even lower at 3.0. He said he did not want me to freak out but he thinks it is important to eliminate any possibility of me having leukemia and recommended me to see a hematologist. He also asked me about my past blood test results. I called my former primary physician and asked for the previous two years' lab work and the results showed that my white blood cell count was 3.6 and 3.8 in 2007 and 2008 respectively. A couple of months ago I had a HIV test and it was negative and I also tested for hepatitis early this year and it was negative and I have received hepatitis immunization.

Other than easily contracting the flu even after receiving flu shots annually, which can sometimes be very serious and can last for several weeks, I am very healthy and exercise regularly and watch what I eat carefully. The hematologist told me the same thing not to worry too much about it as I appear healthy and that it is normal for Asians and Middle Easterners to have low white blood cell count. In the meantime he ordered a bunch of test and I am to see him again on Dec 2. I am worried about this and am also curious to know if the hematologist is correct that Asians do in fact have low white blood cell count. If so are there any natural ways to increase one's white blood cell count?
|

replied August 5th, 2011
Try Epicor it a yeast for general health was discovered by accident in an Iowa chemical company.. None of the employees got sick for so long that the company insurance starting giving rebates to the company and employees asked to use their sick leave for vacations.. HyVee sells it and it is available online...LOW WBC... My wife is a diabetic in her late 60's... Asian her WBC has dropped to now 1.4 .. We are worried and going to Mayo for a second opinion because the local dr wants her to go on chemo.. She is active and healthy normally and is now.. Had a minor tooth ache and we are wondering if her WBC dropped below 2 because of that .. He WBC is normally 2.5 ish.. Anyway fingers crossed we want to hold off on the chemo .. Any female older Asians with WBC that low ?? She feels fine
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2009
Supporter
* Yoghurt
* Garlic
* Oysters
* Pot roast
* Dark meat turkey
* Pumpkin
* Squash seeds
* Shitake mushrooms
* Spinach
* Carrots
* Melon
* Oranges
* Fish oil
* Beet root
* Milk
* Figs
* Boiled eggs
* Green Grams
* Pulses
* Legumes
* Cereals
* Asparagus
* Broccoli
* Cauliflower
* Strawberries
i searched websites "how to increase white blood cell count"
|

replied May 15th, 2010
Hi i am an asian too...recently i just did my 1st executive check up for the past 28yrs. all result came normal except for the white blood cell and lymphocytes. wbc count is 3.6 below the normal value and lymphocytes is 0.54 above the normal value. my history is in 2002 i was diagnose with hyperthyroidism and in 2004 it was surgically remove complete right. besides that i don't remember having any serious illness. hope they are right being an asian have lower white blood cell count but it's still normal.
|