Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Low factor 8, Low Platelet count, Normal wbc, help!

Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
Hello everyone, I'm looking for any advice anyone can give me regarding my aquired medical conditions. I'm a 28 yr old female that has a history of severe bruising, bad blood clotting (hard knots within the bruises), severe anemia, headaches, fatigue, and I recently had to have knee surgery and found I had very bad bleeding into the joint after the surgery. A few wks after having this surgery, I was in a car accident, we were rear-ended and my knee was reinjured. I went to the ER and a CT scan of my knee showed a moderate amount of bleeding within the joint 8 hrs after the accident and it showed that the bleeding itself hadn't stopped yet. I decided to see a hematologist/oncologist to see if I have a blood disorder. I've had 2 sets of labs done in the last several wks, the 1st showed abnormal low factor 8 levels. Everything else was borderline low but not abnormal. The 2nd set showed abnormal low platelet levels and now my factor 8 was sitting on the borderline of low but said not to be abnormal. I'm worried about something more severe like leukemia but my wbc has been normal. The doctors are stumped currently and told me "you def have a problem, we just don't know exactly what the problem is yet."

Can anyone offer me any insight, I'm growing frustrated as well as anxious. Anyone that responds to this, I wish you the best with your health! Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 18th, 2010
I was taking lisinopril for high blood pressure and it caused very low platelet counts and depressed RBC and WBC. Since I stopped taking it, my blood counts are back to normal. Hope this helps!
|

replied July 10th, 2014
my mother has been on lisinopril for sometime and she is now only got 7% of platelets her haemoglobin is also low was this the case with you. when you stopped taking the lisinopril how long did it take for your blood counts to go back to normal. were you on blood transfusions and platelet transfusions.
|

replied November 12th, 2011
Please don't give up
Hi, I have gone through a similar situation. I am 39 and have always been healthy, except for my bleeding issue. Until now, no one has really given much concern. I have been told many times that I just have a very elevated bleeding time. I am in the process of finding out if I might have a condition called Von Willebrand's disorder. It is related to the factor 8 platelet. I have had many blood tests and thus far they only show a low platelet count. On Wednesday I was given a med called DDATP to see if it helps with the excessive bruising and heavy bleeding. I am not sure if this information will help you. Don't give up! I totally understand the frustration. It is very important. I have hemorrhaged twice after giving birth to children and twice after surgery. It is quite frightening. Some bleeding disorders are very easy to monitor and maintain. Von Willebrands is one of them. However, it is very dangerous to just not know. Good luck!
|