Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Low blood sugar - not hypoglycemic ?

I have seen 2 endocrinologists and both told me that everything looks normal with my sugar levels, thyroid, etc. However, I have symptoms of hypoglycemia that I do not know what to attribute it to. I had a bowl of oatmal and a banana this AM (have it everyday) at 9am, by 11am I felt shaky and my blood sugar was 66. I felt like I was going to pass out. I don't understand why I feel so awful. I was hyperventilating a little, Very light-headed and thought I was going to pass out. But Dr's tell me I'm ok. They say it's just anxiety. My therapist doesn't really know how to help me with this either. People say I'm just addicted to food but why would my blood sugar be that low? Is that normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 4th, 2009
Did the doctors do a glucose tolerance test? This will show if your blood sugar drops at a certain time after eating something sugary. Which then shows if you have hypoglycemia. I do know that bannanas aren't the best thing if you have this. They have a lot of sugar in them. Hypoglycemia is controlled through a change in diet. You might want to cut out all sugar and bad carbs for a while too see how you feel. Check out Stan's rules and diet on this site. It will give you a place to start. Good luck and know this is a process that might take awhile, it's not an over night fix. But you will start to feel better.
|

replied December 10th, 2009
Quote:
...my blood sugar was 66

As far as I was aware, a diagnosis of hypglycemia is when your blood sugar goes under 70?
|

replied December 10th, 2009
missyjec,

I have the same exact situation as you, even the "shake" time (by 11 AM) is the same. I will also get the shakes and the other symptoms @ 12:30 PM if I don't eat lunch after a light breakfast.

I am not diabetic but I show hypoglycemic symptoms.

My general doctor suggested peanut butter. Just use a spoon and eat some. It has alot of protein and it controls sugar levels. It works. When eating peanut butter between 10:30 AM and 12:30 PM, I have no episodes.

Also FYI: the new edition of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Glycemic Index Weight Loss" is coming out January 5, 2010. It discusses not only weight loss but the glycemic index for food (Foods are rated from 1 to 100, with pure glucose rated 100. Foods that are less than 55 are considered low-GI foods and are good for a hypoglycemic diet. Foods over 70 are high-GI foods and should be avoided.) and other things about hypoglycemia.

Hope that helps.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2009
Community Volunteer
Be careful of peanut butter. It's likely working for you for the wrong reason, it has sugar in it. Only natural or some organic varieties don't, but even then you should be trying organic sunbutter or just regular almond butter.
|

replied December 19th, 2009
Wow! Thanks.
|

replied December 26th, 2009
Also, while your BGL may not be dropping below what many Dr's consider as Hypoglycemia, your BGL may be dropping too quickly and that is causing your symptoms.
|