Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Low blood sugar and rage ?

User Profile
Sometimes when I'm having a low blood sugar attack, I'll start having an episode of extreme rage. I'll get so angry, I'll just start punching myself, headbutting walls, and just generally go berserk. I always regret the things I do while having an attack. Sometimes I'll say harsh things to the people I love and care about. Well my girlfriend doesn't understand that the reason that I do these things is that I'm having sugar shock, she just thinks that I have a side to my personality that can be really mean. I've showed her websites explaining the symptoms, and I don't think she really understands it. I try to prevent the anger, but sometimes the day will be hectic and I'll forget to eat, causing me to have rage.

Can anyone here share their experiences with rage, or about people they know who have hypoglycemia and rage? Thanks a bunch.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ThatGuy510
|
Users who thank Dusty36 for this post: scaredwife08  ChuckRose83 

replied May 30th, 2009
All I can say is that you are not alone- I too get RAGING angry and it literally takes all my focus and control to not physically act out on it. My husband of 10 years did not believe it was my blood sugar. Neither did my doctor or counselor. (which makes me rage all by itself!)

My suggestion is that you must treat food like a medicine. There is no hecticness (is that a word?) that should take place of you taking care of yourself. Always eat complex carbs with a protein--even if it's just a little snack--the combo will make you feel full longer. You already know that going low on your blood sugar makes you feel crazy, and that's good to know cause you can work toward eating *before* the rage starts. Make managing your blood sugar top priority--use google like crazy and gather as much info as you can. It ain't easy and the feelings of isolation make it all the more terrible. But you are NOT alone, and you are NOT crazy.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2009
Experienced User
Such crashes makes me extremely aggressive, expecially with objects. I have noticed that people who become very aggressive as a result of biochemical disequilibrium, are otherwise very sensitive people who would never hurt an ant. It's the case for me. I have never hurted anyone or hit whatever person, I hate violence and can't even stand violent movies. Yet I get uncredibly aggressive and angry when my blood sugar swing happily. Irritability is the worse: when even the voice of someone you love gets on your nerve for no reason at all.

I have been suffering from hypoglycemia since I was 7 and I remember at age 8 getting angry almost daily to the point of tears just from watching "stupid" commercials that made me angry. I also got angry to people in motorcycle and to comic movies without any reason. A lot of things made me mad and only after my diagnosis of hypoglycemia I began understanding why and all the strange feelings I had as a child.

The good thing is that the more aggressive you're on a sugar disiquilibrium, the more balanced you discover to be once your blood sugar is on an equilibrium, it's a wonderful sensation and you will attract more friends and great opportunities than ever. You'll also realize that you probably are more capable of loving life, people and being in awe with this beautiful world than other people can.

There's a book about a woman who was diagnosed as mentally ill and put on a cocktail of dangerous psycho drugs. Her life was miserable and she was suicidal. It was reactive hypoglycemia from the beginning. Your girlfriend should read that book.
|

replied May 3rd, 2012
Hypoglemic Issues
Could you please send the title of the book? I would really appreciate it. Have a great day.
|

replied February 1st, 2014
What book? My 33 year old son was just discovered this past year he has low blood sugar. He has seen all types of Dr.s about austism and other things. He now has head twitches that we are seeing another Dr. for. He is eating small meals and his blood test have been between 90 and 110, but he still gets angry at times and destorys his things. He also feels like he needs to throw up at times. Where do we need to take him?
|

replied February 2nd, 2014
We please need the name of that book.
Also why if the blood level is between 90 & 105 is my son who is in good shape have these depressed and angry feeling and tear up his stuff?
|

replied February 24th, 2012
I realize this is an old post but perhaps if anything I can share with someone that comes looking for info another day. Yeah most my life I thought I just had a tendency to get incredibly angry / moody and thought it was issues with my behavior or just how I was and through life tried to rationalize or embrace it or fight it and confused about that 5% of my life where I wouldn't be me. Recently I moved across country and was with loving friends that did nothing but be nice and through incidents of rage and accusations and moments where I wouldn't recall hours of time and do crazy stuff I realized there was no rational reason for me to act as I was and looked into it. I was on a strict diet and didn't have any sugars and exercised a lot. At times out of the blue I would get angry but realize it and keep my distance. Worse was if I drank alcohol as it soon became auto rage, but after like 1 or 2 drinks over hours. Everyone shrugged it off as me being a angry drunk though I would later think how did 1 beer cause me to get angry, make crazy accusations then black out. It didn't click and I sunk into depression as I thought I just was doomed to always turn on friends I loved no matter what. One day I got shaky and passed out in my apartment lobby. I woke up and went to the doctor and was lead to it possibly being hypoglycemia, based on my diet and general habits of focusing on work before food. The next day I started getting shaky and felt depressed then angry at a friend so spotted it and took orange juice. Within a few minutes I had complete clarity and felt good. Heck I started dancing at work out of no where lol, I was back to me. I no longer black out after 1 beer and upped my diet to more reasonable calories and keep solid sugar candies on me and orange juice at home. Everything changed but still most my friends don't believe it and distanced themselves from me. I apologized and explained to no end to them but I had to accept that I can't be sorry forever, its not a healthy state and understand their point of view and think that it is what it is. I really wish I knew this when I was a kid, when I busted windows, punched holes and broke things. I know now though, I maintain my happy self and have let current friends in the loop as to my issue. At 27 I feel like I finally know myself. But yes your not alone. I hope more awareness can be made of the issue though.
|
Users who thank ThatGuy510 for this post: ChuckRose83 

replied December 13th, 2012
ADHD/Hypoglycemia meltdown
I have been really having these episodes lately and I have been really struggling to explain to my wife that I am not unhappy with her despite the foul language flying at her in a fit of rage. I also have adhd so in the midst of a crash I have an anxiety attack that further amplifies the situation. To the wife I appear moody or downright crazy but for me during these episodes I am freaked. They usually happen when I am at work I ca say that they usually happen more on days that I don't make it to the gym. I am actually writing this on the backside of a recent episode. I ate and finally gave in and bought a monster drink to feel somewhat normal. Usually after having a crash and burn I am fatigued beyond normal and just want to sleep. Made and appointment with doctor for next week.
|

User Profile
replied March 19th, 2012
Yesterday
I hadn't eaten much all day and was rude to my girlfriend when I finally got to eat at her house. Things just kept getting worse from there.
|

replied October 31st, 2012
Sugar rage
I cant stand who I become when I have eaten sugar unknowingly (its it almost everything) I wish it would go away. the only times when I didnt have the sugar rage and depression was on Sandra cabots liver cleanse diet and when I totally went off every single possible sugar including anything with lactose, false sugars even the "friendly" ones. This was hard work but worth it the problemis its like AA says one drink will create the slide into hell. One bite of something sugary will do the same. Have to say no to everything and exercise. good luck darling
|

replied April 29th, 2013
Reading these posts have been really helpful when I go into what I call my "crash" I'm too weak to move but I say really hurtfull things to the people round me my speach slurs but they can still understand what I'm saying and so stay away from me after it got worse when I was pregnant I would pass out all over the place but I've learnt to controle my diet so I eat even when I'm not hungry but even with a doctors diagnosis and letters saying whats wrong with me my brother still doesnt believe me thats the hardest when the people round you dont understand luckily my partner does and when I rage at him he just laughs and says I'm gourgeous when I'm angry Smile
|

replied May 5th, 2013
I have been diagnosed with portal hypertension of the liver cause is still to be determined, but it is the cause of my hypoglycemia, in aug. of 2012 low blood glucose caused me to freak out on my fridge. the wife got a protective order on me, had it modified, went out last night was awesome until i started to pass out and cry, then it turned to rage i hit the dash of the car and wondered why did i do that. i then felt like i was going into a coma, woke up feeling hung over. so my marriage is probably over. and my dr. doesn't care. he has diagnosed me but hasn't treated me in 6 months. i contemplate suicide hourly, i pray , i'm in AA and i help others as much as i can, but at the same time i feel so helpless cause i cant control my own life. my wife just thinks im making excuses. and ignores me. making me more depressed and i've got liver spots and jaundice, i've lost 30lbs. in two months , i cant wake up for work on time, and i'm on here boo hooing. i hope someone looks at this and knows they are not alone. Find a dr. who actually cares. they are rare. and a second job to pay for what insurance should pay
|

replied May 6th, 2013
hypoglycemic
jerm956 I understand you. I just thought I should say so. Hang in there.
|

replied June 13th, 2013
prediabete blackout (low sugar)
I also have prediabetes & apparently had a blackout episodes which made me appear and act "drunken". The only Thing I can do is watch my food intake and monitor low levels. My low sugar levels have caused me to become incoherent, stumble, mumble, etc. In the past. My latest episode involved me apparently walking, stopping to nap & being picked up for intoxication which may violate my probation. Once jailed and given food for low blood sugar levels I was fine but the charges are still standing??
|

replied June 13th, 2013
I also have prediabetes & apparently had a blackout episodes which made me appear and act "drunken". The only Thing I can do is watch my food intake and monitor low levels. My low sugar levels have caused me to become incoherent, stumble, mumble, etc. In the past. My latest episode involved me apparently walking, stopping to nap & being picked up for intoxication which may violate my probation. Once jailed and given food for low blood sugar levels I was fine but the charges are still standing??
|

replied June 13th, 2013
|

replied July 24th, 2013
Wow it is a relief of sorts to see other people affected by this same problem ie I'M NOT CRAZY! Whenever I don't eat regularly I find that I become raging mad to the point where I say really mean things to my child's mother; after I eat I always end up regretting all that I've said to her. She told me yesterday that she feels that I am verbally abusing her and frankly she is 100% correct. I can't stand hurting her because she's been in my corner wrong or right for the past 10+ years. What can be done besides frigging eating??? I mean is it a symptom of something else ie some mental disease?
|

replied August 10th, 2013
Emotional toll getting too great for all concerned
My wife was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year and her doctor is not helping her manage. Episodes of rage and emotional distress have led to several episodes of having the police called and I having to leave the home and fend for myself for several days, until I can come home. The police are willing to believe that our marriage is taking too much time from their service and would like us to consider a divorce. It was just recently that I became aware that low blood sugar was contributing to the rage and violence. My wife is convinced that I don't love her and seems to have drifted away into her own world, leaving me emotionally alone and confused as to what action she will accept to seek better help with her blood sugar management. It looks a lot like our marriage is going to crash because of low blood sugar!
|

replied April 5th, 2014
Suffering with my partner
Wow, sad stories. My partner is the most amazing, clever, wonderful man when he's not having a hypo episode. Usually twice a week when he hasn't eaten properly thru the day, he just turns nasty, swears at me, is very verbally abusive, screams, calls over and over when I hang up on him for being abusive. He says the most horrible and hurtful things I would never tolerate from anyone, but because of his hypoglycemia, I forgive him and tolerate it. My resilience is dropping, you can only be called the most horrible things so many times before you stop believing in a person. He blames every argument on me, can't understand why I hang up on him or ask him to leave when he's abusing me, his recollection of events is that I've been very unreasonable, while he was calm. I don't know how long I can put up with it, even when he seems to eat regularly and properly for his condition, his moods still go off. Then he's so sorry and wonderful for 2-3 days before it happens again. I don't know what to do, as he gets angry at me for 'treating him like a child' and reminding him to eat.
|

replied April 29th, 2014
I also suffer from fits or rage or anger and I am hypoglycemic. When I drink alcohol it can get really bad. I have always gotten moody when I have not eaten but when I drink, even just a little, I blackout and turn evil. I will hit things, myself, and start being mean to everyone. I thought I was just crazy but I am starting to see a connection between my blood sugar and the anger. I am generally a very nice, caring person and feel terrible when I go off the deep end. I have lost friends and relationships have suffered because of this.
|

replied May 7th, 2014
If your son is have motor tics as well as rage I would have him evaluated for PANDAS/PANS rich can be triggered by various infections.

|