Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

low blood counts and leukemia

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
I am a health 28yr old female. I have had ongoing problems with a low white blood cell count (neutrophils and lymphocytes) for over a year and was referred to a hematologist. I have however becoming anaemic (low hemaglobin, low hematocrit, low mcv and mch) in a short period of time where my hemoglobin levels droped from 12.5 to 9.9 in a matter of weeks and then down to 8.5 and have struggled to get back to normal levels. I am not responding to oral iron(I have been taking this for 3 months) and an iv infusion of iron has helped my numbers creep up to 10. My ferritin levels are high/normal and my hematologist said this means it's not iron deficiancy. I also have waxing and waning lymphnodes in the cervical area. I have been suffering night sweats over the last couple of months, fatigue which feels like exhaustion and terrible feeling of fullness and nausea to the extent that I can only eat very small amounts and usually have to stick to soups/liquids. (GI investigations gave me an all clear). My white blood cell count is still borderline it sits between 3.5 and 2.5 and my lymphocytes and neutrophils are always low. My hematologist suggests a bone marrow biopsy, would you be able to explain what they would be looking for with my symptoms and test results.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 20th, 2010
Based upon the information that you have provided, I agree with your Hematologist's recommendation for a bone marrow biopsy. There are a couple of important questions that a bone marrow may answer in your case, including: (1) Are your low blood counts being caused by destruction or loss of blood cells OUTSIDE of your bone marrow, or is this a problem with your bone marrow not being able to "manufacture" enough of these blood cells; and (2) if the problem is within your bone marrow, is it due to a benign or a malignant (i.e., cancer-related) cause?

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.