Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Low Back Strain (need some advice)

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
Its been about ten days since I was hunched over for an hour or so cleaning some game. Anyway after I was finished I didn't realize any pain, but I noticed a kind of numb pulled sensation, like I had pulled something. It stayed with me for awhile. Then I arrived at work and I was bending climbing scaffoldings. I work on large billboards. So I noticed my lower back was very week and felt stretched to the limit. I finished the day, but the next day I didn't go in. Now the pain is very minimal but my lower back/butt feels pulled (hopefully not torn) and in the mornings I get a very slight numbness that only stays in the injured area. It doesn't got to my legs, it doesn't wrap around my waist. It just in the injured area. Could have I damaged some sensory nerves? I've been to two doctors and they said x-rays were not needed. One of them said you just have a strain, it could take as much as 6-8 weeks to fully heal. The chiropractor told me its just soft tissue damage, probably a strain or a sprain. He realigned two misaligned disks. However I still get a slight numbness in the area, maybe damaged blood vessels? I certainly can't afford 1500 for an MRI. Should I just give it time to heal.

Oh both doctors told me the numbness is something to worry about if it wraps around my pelvic area and I lose the ability to control my bowels and urine. The chiropractor just told me do you feel it going down your legs or wrapping around your pelvic area, I said no and he didn't say much else about it. Should I be worried?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 2nd, 2011
anybody know what the numbness could be from?
|

replied February 3rd, 2011
back pain
Numbness and weakness are manifestations of abnormal nervous system activity.
Numbness
Numbness is felt when nerve impulses aren't traveling properly from the skin to the brain.
A patient with back problems may also experience numbness in other parts of the body, especially the legs and feet. This always indicates some kind of nerve damage in the peripheral nervous system or the central nervous system (i.e. the spine or the brain) and deserves prompt and serious attention.
Numbness can occur in the skin and the linings of body orifices such as the mouth.
Common spinal causes of numbness include the following:
� Radiculopathy�A pinched nerve due to a herniated disc.
� Stenosis�A narrowing of the spinal canal, which can compress sensory nerve fibers causing loss of sensation.
� Multiple Sclerosis
� Stroke
Common cerebral causes of numbness include the following:
� Stroke
� Seizures
� Congenital abnormalities
� Concussion
� Other generalized conditions, such as psychological upsets
Weakness
Weakness happens when signals don't travel properly from the brain to the muscles or from problems in the muscles themselves.
If weakness cannot be traced to another systemic condition, such as diabetes, it can come from either a nerve or a muscle problem. Paralysis is the extreme manifestation of weakness.
There are many reasons people experience weakness related to low back pain, but the most common cause of overall systemic weakness is inactivity.
A person's posture, gait, step size and degree and amount of arm swing when walking all affect dozens of muscles in the middle and lower back. A minor injury that may have no symptoms can cause a person to compensate in different ways when walking, sometimes without even knowing it. Both large and small adjustments to these everyday activities can have a domino effect sometimes leading to back pain.
Causes of Muscle Weakness
Myopathy

As in dermatitis that affects the skin, and neuropathy that affects the nerves, myopathy is a systemic condition that attacks the muscle tissue, most of the time all over the body.
There are various types of myopathy, including that caused by diabetes and other endocrine abnormalities from infections and from autoimmune diseases and then there are toxic and hereditary causes.
Most myopathies show up in the muscles close to the trunk first, in the pectoral muscles in the upper extremities and the muscles in the thigh.
Symptoms
Patients with myopathy will detect a weakness walking up stairs, their knees may involuntarily buckle and they may find it harder to do routine tasks such as opening jars.
Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis
These types of diseases that come with age and cause joint derangement sometimes followed by vertebral fractures can cause nerve damage in response to these conditions, therefore weakening muscles.
Common neurological causes of weakness include the following:
� Stroke
� Spinal Cord Injury
� Injury or damage to peripheral nerves�Often the result of trauma, surgery or pressure produced by posture or position
� Myopathy�One or more nerves damaged systemic problems reducing reflexes
� Osteoporosis/OsteoarthritisÃ¢ï¿½ï¿ ½Weakness is sometimes a secondary symptom resulting in complications of these disorders
|